The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
This position will reside within the Operations section of Wastewater Services and will work closely with all teams across the division to lead the coordinated delivery of major maintenance projects. Projects can include those identified through the divisions work plan or those that arise as a result of unforeseen breakdowns. All work supports either the renewal or replacement of key infrastructure at the wastewater treatment plant or associated with the wastewater collection system. In addition to exceptional project management skills the successful candidate will rely on well-refined interpersonal skills and be able to manage multiple projects in a fast paced environment. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Lead work planning events with all stakeholders for planned and unplanned projects
- Lead the development of the appropriate detailed documentation for all projects. This can include Project Charters, Schedules, Risk Registers and Business Cases consistent with protocols of the City’s Project Management Office or basic work plans and coordination documents.
- Initiates the procurement of contracted services, materials, supplies, and equipment to support identified projects
- Develops and supports service agreements, contracts awards, tenders, RFP’s, RFQ’s
- Oversight for all elements of project management such as scope of work, schedules, project execution and warranties for assigned projects
- Support asset management programs through the coordination with Wastewater Maintenance, CMMS Specialist and other appropriate staff
- Support for the Environmental Management System through a continuous improvement philosophy specifically with the preventative maintenance program
- Support the development of reports and performance dashboards to analyze system key performance indicators (KPI’s).
- Represent the Division in a professional manner with internal and external contacts
- Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with all work teams
- Other duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a post-secondary degree in Engineering or a related discipline and considerable experience in managing projects in a Wastewater operational environment i.e. Wastewater Treatment Plant or Wastewater Collection System preferably in a municipal environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience managing project scope, budget and meeting deadlines.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirement.
- Knowledge of all wastewater related project phases (including conceptual design, pre-design, detailed design, and construction administration).
- Excellent understanding of municipal wastewater infrastructure and process design.
- Ability to utilize PMI project management methodologies (PMBOK).
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Proficiency with contract management and vendor management practices in capital project settings.
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
- Knowledge of wastewater industry, municipal and provincial regulations related to wastewater treatment, collection, operation, maintenance, and environmental compliance.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, the media and the general public.
- Good interpersonal, leadership and team building skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Experience with project management software tools.
- Experience with GIS and AutoCAD would be an asset.
- PMP, PgMP or CAPM designation is an asset.
$41.55-$51.55 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, December 6, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.