The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
This position will manage the various building construction and renovation projects for Solid Waste and Wastewater Services at the City of Guelph. This position is a two year contract and reports to Manager Complex Capital Projects. Guided by the goals and objectives of the Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Manage various building construction and renovation projects from conception to completion.
- Preparation of tender or RFP documents and coordinating with purchasing.
- Liaise with City Departments to establish the program for the project.
- Space planning and preparation of site, office, and building layouts as required in AutoCAD format.
- Hire, supervise, and coordinate the work of architects, engineers, consulting teams and contractors to meet the requirements of the project.
- Liaise with Planning and Building for site plan approval and building permits, Engineering for site services, IT and other departments with special needs, and with utilities, authorities and regulatory agencies as required.
- Review reports, conceptual designs, drawings and tender documents, and recommend changes.
- Ensure that all safety and operational procedures are followed during work performance.
- Conduct site inspections and oversee/prepare deficiency reports for appropriate action.
- Responsible for payment certificates for the consultants, the contractor and other vendors.
- Manage shop drawings, site instructions, change notices, change orders, and record drawings and manuals.
- Oversee commissioning, clearing of deficiencies, and address warranty issues.
- Organize and coordinate all aspects of moves.
- Ensure adherence to AODA requirements, asbestos, mold, and OH&S Regulations.
- Maintain and manage a work order system (WAM) and corporate asset data base.
- Manage, update, and utilize the information presented in the building condition assessments for the purpose of preparing the annual 10 year capital facilities renewal budget and the ‘state of the infrastructure’ report as part of our asset management program in Facilities Management.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in mechanical/electrical engineering or a related discipline and considerable experience in design and construction within the ICI sector (Institutional, Commercial and Industrial). Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- E.T, P.ENG. or eligible for registration in the province of Ontario within one year.
- Experience leading projects on time and on budget.
- Experience with mechanical and electrical systems.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of the Building Code, Lien Act, OAA Document 6, CCDC 2, Bonding and Insurance and construction procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret detailed drawings, specifications, soils reports and topographical surveys.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, contractors and the general public.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
- Ability to use AutoCAD.
- PMP certification would be an asset.
- Experience in a municipal environment would be an asset.
- Experience in Solid Waste or Wastewater environments would be an asset.
$44.85 – $56.06 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Tuesday October 22, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
Apply for this job
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.