The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The successful candidate will be a collaborative, client-focused project manager that will be responsible for end-to-end management, coordination and oversight of various projects that also include energy conservation and greenhouse gas mitigation projects. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Project manage all activities leading to the successful implementation of projects (e.g. energy conservation and climate change mitigation programs, industrial process, municipal infrastructure, and building facility upgrades).
- Manage projects at different stages in the project lifecycle.
- Conducting energy audits to identify opportunities.
- Developing business cases for small to medium sized projects and selection/oversight of consultants for large projects, preparation of tender documentation, management of the tender process, selection of vendors, management/oversight of construction projects, post-project commissioning and measurement and verification.
- Cultivate and maintain excellent working relationships with facility managers, operations staff, and other project stakeholders; provide consultation services to determine project requirements (energy and non-energy), provide them with regular status updates and manage any issues in a positive, thorough, and proactive manner.
- Work in close coordination with the Manager – Corporate Energy and Climate Change and the broader Facilities and Energy Management department.
- Ensure that all safety and operational procedures are followed during work performance.
- Manage and coordinate the work of architects, consulting teams and contractors to meet the requirements of the project.
- Review reports, conceptual designs, drawings and tender documents, and recommend changes.
- Conduct site inspections and oversee/prepare deficiency reports for appropriate action.
- Manage and coordinate the application and fulfillment process for energy conservation and greenhouse gas grants and incentives.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in mechanical/electrical engineering or a related discipline and considerable experience in sustainable design and construction within the ICI sector (Institutional, Commercial and Industrial). Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- ENG. or eligible for registration in the province of Ontario within one year.
- Experience leading projects on time and on budget.
- Experience in energy management and climate change mitigation (e.g. energy upgrades, retro-commissioning, energy auditing, measurement and verification, energy policy, climate change mitigation and adaptation strategy development).
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Ability to develop business cases, data analysis.
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, contractors and the general public.
- Ability to prepare presentations on energy savings and present to staff.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to engage staff and work in a team environment.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
- Knowledge and understanding of AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of buildings and building HVAC and electrical systems as they relate to energy management.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a demanding environment.
- Knowledge of environmental compliance regulations such air and noise ECAs and EASR considered an asset.
- Knowledge of building automation systems and commissioning process.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) credentials considered an asset.
$75,634.49-$94,543.11 per year
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday March 1, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.