The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to actively engage in the Smart Cities work with the City of Guelph? Resumes are being accepted for an enthusiastic, experienced Project Coordinator to join our innovative Smart Cities Project team. We need you to help us create a regional food ecosystem where there is no such thing as waste, where every citizen has access to the healthy, nutritious food and where a rural-urban living lab is created promoting collaboration between food entrepreneurs, farmers, researchers and social innovators.
The City of Guelph in partnership with the County of Wellington has been awarded an Infrastructure Canada grant to create Canada’s first Circular Food Economy, which aims to increase access to aﬀordable, nutritious food by 50%, create 50 new circular businesses and collaborations and increase circular economic revenues by 50% by recognizing the value of “waste” by 2025.
Reporting to the Manager of the Smart Cities Initiative, the successful candidate will be responsible for smart cities project management, designing and implementing community engagement initiatives, including marketing, monitoring, evaluation and partnership development with the County of Wellington and other stakeholders to ensure the successful implementation of the Smart Cities initiative. Success in this role requires a well rounded background in communication and project management. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Coordinates and facilitates public consultation, stakeholder engagement and education events in a positive and inclusive manner to promote Smart Cities initiative.
- Manages, monitors and reports on project budget, progress, outcomes and milestones.
- Assists in the coordination of activities between multiple collaborating partners and consultants to successfully execute initiative deliverables.
- Develops new and enhances existing strategic relationships that support the goals and objectives of a circular food economy in Guelph and Wellington County.
- Coordinates the City of Guelph’s participation at various levels of the project including directing internal staff teams and consultants and effectively managing project deliverables.
- Liaises with the County of Wellington and other stakeholders to ensure Smart Cities goals are achieved.
- Creates and distributes materials and information to generate program awareness within the community.
- Develops and hosts networking, information and learning events/opportunities to promote the Our Food Future project.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the responsibilities listed above, normally acquired through a degree in Public Administration, Communications or a related field and experience in project delivery. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Extensive experience in facilitating effective community/stakeholder engagement.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with a knowledge of project management methodologies and applications.
- Project management experience with skills in Microsoft Project or similar project management systems.
- Accomplished skills and experience in research and analysis
- Experience Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public including the ability to communicate clearly, effectively and timely both orally and in writing.
- Ability to set priorities, manage time and comply with deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to solve complex problems.
- Interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Experience in a municipal environment would be an asset.
- Must possess a valid Class “G” driver’s licence with a good driving record.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday October 18, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
Apply for this job
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.