The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
A probationary firefighter is an integral part of the emergency services team. This position will be responsible for fire suppression duties necessary to save life and property and providing emergency response, rescue and extrication duties within hazardous conditions.
The Fire Department provides an essential service 24 hours a day, 7 days per week to the community. Firefighters work together as members of a high performing team, often working extended periods of time in emergency situations, training, or other duties around the fire station. The Guelph Fire Department takes pride in providing a high level of service and support to our community.
- Combat, extinguish and/or prevent fires to save life and property. Perform fire suppression duties to extinguish fires rapidly and efficiently under emergency conditions, frequently involving considerable hazards.
- Provide emergency medical response and aid.
- Perform rescue/extrication operations, including, but not limited to; vehicle, confined space, water, ice, high angle and hazardous materials, to prevent loss of life or further injury.
- Support work teams and allied agencies to maintain public safety. Seek direction and authority through the Incident Management System at the emergency scene and collaborating/assisting with allied agencies (e.g. paramedics and police).
- Perform station, equipment and vehicle maintenance.
- Assist with Alarm Room Technician/dispatch duties as required. Provide back-up resources to the communications unit by receiving emergency calls and dispatching resources on an as needed basis demonstrating excellent communications and multitasking skills to input and record pertinent data.
- Contribute to public relations and education efforts through community engagement, education, and prevention initiatives and inspections.
- Commit to lifelong learning, community and personal wellness and continuous improvement. Participate in training exercises and courses to maintain and improve skill set, learning new procedures and techniques.
- Perform other related duties as required.
The following qualifications must be met at the time of applying:
- Completion of secondary school diploma (Grade 12 or equivalent).
- Successful completion of the National Fire Protection Association Firefighter Certification NFPA 1001, (I & II) & NFPA 472 or 1072.
- Possess, and maintain, a valid Advanced First Aid Certificate (i.e. First Responder, Emergency Medical Responder, etc.) and a valid CPR Basic Rescuer Certificate (Level C).
- Must possess a minimum DZ drivers licence (or out of province equivalency) with a good driving record.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years.
- The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Must have successfully completed all phases of the Ontario Fire Administration Inc. Candidate Testing Services program (OFAI CTS), including the swim test, by time of hire, and be prepared to submit all related certificates.
- Must be able to work a 24 hour shift schedule that involves working weekends and holidays, averaging 42 hours per week.
- Must provide, and maintain, a satisfactory Police Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC).
- Must be 18 years of age, or older, and legally entitled to work in Canada.
The following qualification will be considered an asset to this position:
- Post-secondary education.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through relevant training and experience, including volunteer or community service.
- Skills and experience in a field closely related to emergency services, including firefighter, paramedic, police, military, medical care, social services, skilled trades, and/or heavy equipment operations.
- Able to perform strenuous physical labour within high risk and hazardous conditions.
- Ability to handle high pressure situations and environments.
- Commitment to volunteerism and community involvement as demonstrated by experience volunteering in social/civil/community events and initiatives, non-profit organizations, counselling, and crisis intervention.
- Proven interpersonal skills that are consistent with the City’s core values.
- Good written communication skills.
- A strong mechanical aptitude.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
- Computer skills with good keyboarding skills.
- Multi-lingual skills
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online by Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 11:59pm. Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
- To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
- All applicants must complete the online application process in order to be considered.
- Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
- Please check our specialized recruitment page http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/careers-jobs/firefighters/ for further updates regarding the status of our recruitment process for Probationary Firefighters.
- Resumes may be kept on file for future positions beyond this current recruitment.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.