The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The successful candidate will provide plumbing and technical support within the Metering unit at Business Services. The successful candidate will perform plumbing and duties related meter installation, repair and replacement for all aspects of metering services with a specific emphasis on the large and/or ICI metering program. The successful candidate will share their technical expertise in the areas of plumbing with respect to metering tasks. Working with the metering staff, the successful candidate will ensure accurate, complete and quality metering work while demonstrating conformance to City policies and procedures, Health and Safety objectives and any other regulatory requirements. The successful candidate will have a focus on quality assurance and cost containment/efficiency as well as participate in team building, quality customer service and continuous improvement as related to the metering program. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Perform plumbing as related to the installation of all types of water meters with a focus on metering classified as “large” (greater than 1”) and ICI metering applications
- Plan large water meter, meter piping, water meter support device installation repair, installation or replacement according to specification and Water Services requirements including measuring and cutting of pipe and fittings and provide guidance and direction to meter installation staff on the same.
- Assemble, install or secure metering piping, tubing, fittings and other items by mechanical assembly or by soldering/brazing methods and provide training and guidance to other metering staff
- Install, test, trouble shoot and repair all types of water meters and associated equipment including wiring and other fittings with a specific focus on large or ICI water meter applications and organize third party assistance for the same
- Turn off or turn on water services in relation to the above duties
- Completes and maintains all daily legislative and non-legislative records as they pertain to the Distribution (metering) system and related work including the accurate preparation of required documentation (electronic or otherwise) and completion of documents which may include numerical and textual information, time cards, logs and worksheets etc.
- Schedule, plan and perform work in an efficient and safe manner in conjunction with other City Staff, contractors and external customers in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Corporate and Water Services’ policies and procedures and others as required
- Represent the department with internal and external contacts by providing high quality customer service both to customers both in person onsite and by other communications methods.
- Required to interpret, and evaluate and comment on drawings, specifications and procedures as related to meter installation
- Liaise with both City management staff, frontline stakeholders and vendors on metering issues including but not limited to customer troubleshooting and follow up as needed
- Work with the Metering Technician to ensure field feedback and data is incorporated into City databases to ensure that accurate implementation and tracking of programs and KPI data is occurring
- Provide input to the Lead Hand of Metering and Metering Technician on the development and implementation of a field staff training program including solicitation and provision of feedback regarding metering procedures and practices both verbally and in in writing
- Represent the division with internal and external contacts by providing high quality customer service both in person onsite and by other communications methods
- Comply with and conform to metering, health and safety and environmental regulations and conform to City policies and procedures with a focus on continuous improvement
- Assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of metering standard procedures and practices for City of Guelph
- Responsible for creating, issuing, completing of work orders, inventory summaries, and running reports via computerized maintenance management system as they relate to the metering process
- Performs meter related plumbing response including emergency response
- Participates in regular metering on-call schedule
- Perform or facilitate via contractor support, backflow prevention tests
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma, plumbing apprenticeship program and 4-5 years’ plumbing experience and 1-2 years experience in and ICI plumbing environment as a licensed plumber in good standing. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A licensed certified plumber (306a trade certification).
- Experience in ICI (or greater than 1” plumbing) environments.
- Must possess a valid Class G driver’s licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Ability to work in physically demanding conditions including, digging, regularly lifting objects approximately 25kg in weight, climbing ladders, entering pits and working in confined spaces.
- Excellent knowledge of the plumbing code and plumbing principles.
- Knowledge and ability to work with small hand tools, torches (propane, oxy-acetylene, MAPP) and plumbing supplies including soldering/brazing and pipe cutting practices and materials.
- Awareness of water distribution operations and Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHIMS..
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, contractors, stakeholders and the general public.
- Intermediate skills Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel) with the ability to use computers and other similar devices.
- Good organizational and documentation skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks for projects in a demanding work environment.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal with internal and external contacts in a courteous manner.
- Ability to work effectively alone or in teams
$33.67 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Thursday, August 5, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.