The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The successful candidate in this temporary Planner 1 Environment will be involved in a range of planning duties with respect to environmental policy including research, preparation of reports and presentations and the review of development applications. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan, related environmental legislation and policy, and committed to the corporate values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will assist in the achievement of the community vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Conduct research, formulate policy and planning reviews with respect to long range policy planning initiatives and projects such as Official Plan updates, watershed and subwatershed studies, servicing and stormwater masterplans, and environmental assessments.
- Review and prepare recommendations for development applications (including official plan and zoning by-law amendments, plans of subdivision, committee of adjustment and site plans) and associated technical supporting studies (including, but not limited to, Environmental Impact Studies, Environmental Implementation Reports, stormwater management reports and Tree Preservation/Conservation Plans) to ensure conformity with relevant environmental legislation, policies and regulations.
- Assist with the development of education and awareness programs, implementation guidelines, and technical manuals with respect to environmental policy and development processes.
- Provide evidence before the OMB and other tribunals, as required.
- Facilitate public consultation, liaison and community outreach.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a degree in Urban and Regional Planning with a focus in Environmental Planning, Environmental Sciences or closely related field and 2 – 3 years planning experience related to the duties above preferably within a municipal environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Membership or eligible for membership in the Ontario Professional Planner’s Institute or Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Must possess a valid ‘G” drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of environmental policy and legislation including, natural heritage, water resources and natural hazards policy of the Provincial Policy Statement, the Environmental Assessment Act, the Clean Water Act, the Ontario Water Resources Act, the Conservation Authorities Act, the Planning Act, the Species at Risk Act, Ecological Land Classification System, and relevant Provincial and Federal regulations and guidelines.
- Ability to work effectively in both a team situation and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide solution oriented customer service using good judgment, creativity, strategic thinking and effective communication.
- Ability to conduct research, evaluate options and develop recommendations.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a demanding environment
- Intermediate skills Microsoft Office (Power Point, Word and Excel)
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Experience with GIS would be an asset.
$35.89-$44.05 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, September 23, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.