The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Payroll, Pension and Benefits Specialist with the Human Resources department. Reporting to the Manager, Total Compensation and HR Systems, the successful candidate will perform complex tasks in relation to the timely, complete and accurate processing of biweekly and weekly payrolls. This position also maintains and processes information relating to pension and benefits. A focus on quality customer service, continuous improvement and attention to detail is critical. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Processes full-cycle weekly and biweekly payrolls according to government legislation and collective agreements
- Maintains and updates employee master data files; processes employment changes ensuring adherence to all relevant policies and procedures, collective agreements and current government regulations
- Liaises with timekeepers and approvers to assist with payroll related issues; ensures hours are submitted and properly signed off
- Processes paid and unpaid leaves, contract amendments, wages, salary increases, retroactive payments, and corrections ensuring adherence to all relevant collective agreements, policies and government legislation
- Prepares special payments for severance, terminations and retirements including calculating final deductions
- Verifies payroll data for accuracy, corrects errors or omissions and ensures completion of payroll processing by strict time-sensitive deadlines
- Ensures all source documents and back up documents are complete and authorized
- Completes requests for information from federal and provincial agencies such as Service Canada and/or Canada Revenue Agency
- Assists with preparation of year-end processes including T-4s, statutory reconciliations and pension reporting
- Administers pension and benefit plans including managing enrollments, revisions and terminations
- Ensures accurate employee benefit entitlements, maintaining alignment to collective agreements and employment contracts for multiple benefits plans
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through post-secondary education in payroll administration, accounting, finance or a related discipline and considerable experience with payroll processing in a large unionized environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Completion of Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) with the Canadian Payroll Association
- Experience with complex payroll systems (preferably JD Edwards, Kronos)
- Knowledge of relevant workplace and employment legislation such as Employment Standards Act and Pay Equity Act
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Organizational and records management skills with a strong focus on detail and accuracy
- Time management skills with the ability to meet frequent deadlines and deal with multiple concurrent duties and interruptions
- Communication skills with the ability to communicate complex issues using plain language and communicating with tact and diplomacy while maintaining confidentiality
- Strong team player with exceptional interpersonal skills and a customer focused approach
$41.55 to $51.94 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday, August 9, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.