The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting to the Supervisor, ServiceGuelph, we are accepting resumes for a Customer Service Assistant III – ServiceGuelph positions to join our people-oriented team. As the first person citizens encounter, ServiceGuelph delivers services and information with professionalism, efficiency, and accuracy.
Our customer service team members are genuine and eager to help people. They are patient and empathetic, friendly, and listen respectfully to understand a customer’s needs. Solving difficult problems is a task that comes naturally for customer service representatives. They are confident and use resources to find complete answers and go the extra mile to help customers.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
Our customer service employees are responsible for creating positive experiences that build customer trust and satisfaction. As the face of the City, it’s a big responsibility and one that our people do every day.
Hours of work
Up to 20 hours per week, year-round. Shifts are 5-7 hours, between 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Monday to Friday.
- Perform large volumes of customer transactions that include payments, document intake and processing, providing information, and answering general inquiries.
- Process statutory documents and services.
- Handle large numbers of incoming phone calls.
- Respond to email inquiries.
- Operate and balance a cash drawer.
- Sort and process mail.
- Maintain forms, information, and data.
- Identify and assess customers’ needs to achieve satisfaction.
- Go the extra mile to provide a positive customer experience.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and one year post-secondary education (e.g. business, accounting, customer service, etc.) and 2-3 years customer service experience (both in-person and by phone) in an high customer interaction environment. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Experience handling a high volume of payments and transactions using safe and secure practices including familiarity with operating a point-of-sale system including counting and balancing monies.
- Proven customer-focused service skills.
- Reputation of going above and beyond for customers.
- Excel in a team environment and enjoy sharing knowledge with others.
- Possesses strong and engaging communication skills.
- Demonstrates creative problem-solving abilities.
- Adaptable and responsive to changing work environments and customer interactions.
- Adept at navigating and resolving conflict or difficult interactions.
- Ability to learn and apply new tools, methods, knowledge, and information.
- Possesses strong mathematical abilities, analytical skills, and accurate record keeping.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize work, and manage time effectively.
- Intermediate skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
Rate of pay
$18.04 – $19.32 per hour
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Thursday, July 29, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.