The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Accept permit applications and process Part 9 building permits
- Review all types of Part 9 residential building plans for compliance with the Ontario Building Code and all other applicable regulations and by-laws
- Establish and maintain good relations with the public, professionals and City personnel and assist with Code and By-law requirements as they pertain to particular projects
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Post-secondary education (completed or in process) in Architectural or Construction Technology. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Ability to interpret Codes, By-laws and working (construction) drawings, with a strong understanding of the Building Code Act, Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code and Municipal By-laws
- Must possess good computer skills in a Windows based environment
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must possess excellent team skills and have a sincere focus on Quality Customer Service
- Must be qualified (or in the process) with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing in the following categories:
- General Legal
- House (or Small Buildings)
Hours of work
35 hours per week Monday to Friday starting beginning of May to end of August
$17.22 to 19.07 per hour depending on education level and work experience
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, January 31, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.