The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The Programming and Community Development Department is seeking dynamic, responsible individuals to coordinate and deliver physical activity programming for children in community parks.
Hours of work
16-24 hours per week. Evening and weekend work will be required.
- Deliver dynamic and creative physical activity programming for children in local parks.
- Provide on-site supervision and leadership to participants and support fellow program staff at Park Programming session.
- Take a lead role in the development and implementation of weekly activities and events.
- Assist in the advertising/promoting of Park Activation activities and programs.
- Act as a resource and advocate for participating children and parents.
- Responsible for the health and safety of participants, volunteers and staff.
- Responsible for R-Zone program compliance.
- Complete various administrative duties ( progress reports, incident reports, statistics, program evaluation)
- Ensure that City Parks and Programming and Community Development Program Guidelines and Procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and kept in an acceptable, safe condition.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of special events, when required.
- Obtained or pursuing a degree/diploma in Recreation & Leisure Services, Social Services, Child Development or related field
- Previous experience working with children 4-12.
- Previous experience in program planning, development and implementation for this age group.
- A valid Standard First Aid/CPR Certificate (or willing to obtain upon hiring).
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication (both written and verbal skills) and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent Conflict Resolution Skills with the ability to identify and resolve conflicts before they escalate
- A satisfactory police record/criminal reference check will be required at the time of hiring
$15.85-16.98 per hour
How to apply
Preference will be given to applicants who apply by Friday, July 13, 2018. Please note all applicants must submit their resume and cover letter as one document by email to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.