The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Network Security Specialist within the Information Technology department. Reporting to the Manager, IT Infrastructure Operations, the successful candidate will be experienced in information and communication technologies. This position will be responsible for the design and maintenance of a high performance, highly available, and converged network that meets the business needs of the organization. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Apply knowledge and best practices that enable seamless network communication for City of Guelph employees and their partners
- Apply upgrades necessary to keep the network equipment at a vendor and industry recommended level
- Manage the life cycle of the City’s network and wireless infrastructure
- Create detailed documentation for all areas of the corporate network
- Work with service areas to accommodate intra-site and inter-site networking needs.
- Coordinate wiring and fibre-optic upgrades for existing and new City facilities with vendors and Engineering staff
- Prepare Request for Proposals and Tenders for acquisition of new technology
- Set network standards and guidelines for cabling, patching, and endpoint connections
- Respond to Help Desk user calls relating to client connectivity issues and troubleshoot accordingly
- Create communications for planned and un-planned network outages
- Work with all departments to accommodate needs for wireless, video surveillance, security access, Point of Sale, building automation, and voice communications
- Maintain a network monitoring and notification system to maximize uptime for clients
- Perform other related duties
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a university degree or college diploma in Computer Science or a related discipline and considerable experience in supporting network wired and wireless infrastructure within a large corporate Cisco environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Must possess a valid ‘G’ driver’s licence and have a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and external vendors
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to prepare Request for Proposals and Tenders
- Cisco Certification with CCNA, CCNP, CCDP, CCVP, or CCIE would be an asset
- Considerable knowledge in current Microsoft desktop/server operating systems
- Microsoft Certification with MCSE and/or MCITP would be an asset
- Palo Alto experience with PCCSA, PCNSA, PCNSE
$83,184.28 – $103,980.35 per year
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Tuesday, February 18, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button below . Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.