The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city. Our Municipal Internship for Immigrants program helps build a bridge between experienced international professionals and our teams at The City of Guelph.
Our latest internship opportunity exists within our Operations-Bylaw Compliance Security Department.
Hours of Work
35 hours per week; Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm with a one hour unpaid lunch.
- Responsible for compiling inventory of physical security assets and access control systems throughout the Corporation
- Provide updates to Program Manager of Security
- Perform research on technical trends, developments, advances and best practices
- Support the activities of the Program Manager of Security
- Other duties as assigned
Permanent Residents, Protected Persons, Convention Refugees, Live-in Caregivers, and work permit holders who have been granted permanent resident status are screened to ensure:
- Have at least a Canadian Language Benchmark 7/8
- Have international education or experience
- Are currently unemployed or underemployed
- Are a client of Lutherwood Employment Services.
- Are interested to work for a minimum 4 months for this internship opportunity
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office specifically, Excel, Word and Outlook
- G license in good standing; a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date will be required to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Experience in material control including tracking and documentation of inventory, would be preferred
- Knowledge of security systems (CCTV, Access Intrusion Alarms) an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and strong collaboration skills are essential
- Proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation
- Neat in appearance and have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
$15.35 – $17.69 per hour
- Interns will have a customized onboarding and development program, aimed to help build their professional networks and Canadian Municipal work experience.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm they have a valid driver’s license held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for providing, at own expense, approved CSA “green patch” safety footwear.
How to apply
- Interested candidates are required to register with Lutherwood Employment Services to be eligible to apply. Please drop in or contact Lutherwood Employment Services, Guelph Location at 89 Wyndham St. N., 3rd Floor, Guelph, ON N1H 4E9 at 519-822-4141.
- Please forward your resume and cover letter by Friday March 29, 2019 to Lutherwood Employment Services via email at email@example.com
The City of Guelph and Lutherwood Employment Services are equal opportunity employers that value diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.