The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Our latest internship opportunity exists within our Engineering and Transportation Department within the Design and Construction (D&C) Division.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Assist the Infrastructure Planning Engineer with developing capital project scope and conceptual costing for inclusion in the City’s 10-yr Capital Budget.
- Gather and develop infrastructure replacement and growth needs from ETS Divisions, other City Departments, Master Plans and other sources as directed.
- Assist with developing a strategic implementation plan accounting for infrastructure needs, available funding, transportation detours, staff capacity and other constraints.
- Prepare project documentation in accordance with the Project Management Office framework such as project charters, project management plans, Gantt charts, financial forecasts, and project resource forecasts.
- Conduct cost / benefit analysis of capital projects.
- Perform research on technical trends, developments, advances and best practices.
- Support the activities of the Design and Construction team.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
Permanent Residents, Protected Persons, Convention Refugees, Live-in Caregivers, and work permit holders who have been granted permanent resident status are screened to ensure:
- Have at least a Canadian Language Benchmark 7/8.
- Have international education or experience.
- Are currently unemployed or underemployed.
- Are a client of Lutherwood Employment Services.
- Are interested to work for a minimum 4 months for this internship opportunity.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office specifically, Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of project management tools such as MS Project.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Experience in finance and/or engineering would be an asset.
- Knowledge of construction and project management preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and strong collaboration skills are essential
- Neat in appearance and have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
Hours of work
35 hours per week; Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm with a one-hour unpaid lunch.
$16.00 – $18.60 per hour
- Interns will have a customized onboarding and development program, aimed to help build their professional networks and Canadian Municipal work experience.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for providing, at own expense, approved CSA “green patch” safety footwear.
How to apply
Interested candidates can submit their resume and cover letter by Friday, July 30, 2021 to [email protected] with Municipal Internship for Immigrants in the subject line. Please note that applicants will be asked to register with Lutherwood Employment services. Please call 519-822-4141 for assistance.
The City of Guelph and Lutherwood Employment Services are equal opportunity employers that value diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.