The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
An internship opportunity exists within our Corporate and Community Safety Division. This opportunity would be ideal for any skilled worker new to Canada with the appropriate education and background.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Security infrastructure condition assessment and inventory management
- Assist with the field coordination of projects
- Key management system inventory and tracking
- Assist with city infrastructure access control review
- Update radio system inventory
- Other work as assigned.
Permanent Residents, Protected Persons, Convention Refugees, Live-in Caregivers, and work permit holders who have been granted permanent resident status are screened to ensure:
- Have at least a Canadian Language Benchmark 7/8.
- Have international education or experience.
- Are currently unemployed or underemployed.
- Are a client of Lutherwood Employment Services.
- Are interested to work for a minimum 5 months for this internship opportunity.
- University Degree in a related field.
- Experience in inventory tracking/management would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must possess a valid Class G driver’s license with good driving record.
- Ontario Security guard License
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team as required.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written skills.
Hours of Work
35 hours per week; Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm with a one-hour unpaid lunch.
$16.00 – $18.60 per hour
- Interns will have a customized onboarding and development program, aimed to help build their professional networks and Canadian Municipal work experience.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm they have a valid driver’s license held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for providing, at own expense, approved CSA “green patch” safety footwear.
How to apply
Interested candidates can submit their resume and cover letter by Monday, July 26, 2021 to [email protected] with Municipal Internship for Immigrants in the subject line. Please note that applicants will be asked to register with Lutherwood Employment services. Please call 519-822-4141 for assistance.
The City of Guelph and Lutherwood Employment Services are equal opportunity employers that value diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.