The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting to the General Manager of Guelph Transit, the successful candidate is responsible for the management and administration of Guelph Transit’s business services. This includes financial budgeting, management and oversight; procurement and contract administration; marketing and sales initiatives; and also customer service and support. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Provide visible and positive leadership to staff consistent with the commitments of the City’s Leadership Charter, developing and nurturing a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating for staff.
- Provide managerial oversight of staff including recruitment, training and development, and performance management.
- Assess operational needs and ensure the availability of resources to support staff in meeting work objectives.
- Responsible for Guelph Transit business applications including Trapeze and Farebox.
- Oversee administration and customer service functions and manage response to customer, council, and media requests for information.
- Prepare and coordinate annual operating and capital budgets; monitor, analyze and report monthly on the status of Guelph Transit’s budget activity which includes the identification of trends, forecasts and projections of variances to budget.
- Responsible for all Transit financial accounting transactions, controls and data including financial statements, variance reports, cash controls, inventory and accounting of all fare media, reconciliation of integrated data systems, purchasing, accounts payable, payroll and timekeeping records.
- Oversee and monitor the financial timelines of capital projects and assets ensuring accurate and timely budget reporting cycles.
- Responsible for the oversight and management of purchased goods/services including the preparation of tenders and requests for proposals.
- Ensure the compliance and monitoring of all contractual agreements including renewals and adherence to time specific clauses.
- Maintain historical database of key statistics including ridership, fare media sales, revenue and expenses. Compare data to municipal comparators and recommend continuous improvement activities.
- Oversee Guelph Transit’s sales, marketing and revenue generating programs.
- Working together with transit staff to ensure financial timelines are met related to quality assurance and asset management in accordance with corporate policies.
- Work with Transit management to build and work towards long term planning.
- Act as a resource to the public, city departments and other organizations on relevant transit projects and programs.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a university degree or diploma in Business Administration or a related discipline and considerable experience in performing similar duties, preferably within a transit environment.
- Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints in an effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare, update, analyse, monitor and maintain complex budgets, financial records and systems.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and assignments in order to meet deadlines in a very demanding environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, team and communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Ability to prepare complex statistical reports, correspondence, policies and procedures and other written materials.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternatives and make recommendations in order to implement procedures and policies.
$83,184.28 – $103,980.35
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system Sunday January 26, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.