The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The Manager, Technical Services is responsible for the execution and direction of the division’s capital works program in addition to providing oversight of the sewer use by-law, environmental monitoring, laboratory services continuous improvement programs and emergency planning. Reporting to the Division Manager, Wastewater Services, this position leads a cross functional technical team that includes, environmental protection officers, laboratory technicians, as well as project, environmental and technical specialists with a view to meet the units goals, performance objectives and applicable compliance regulations and corporate polices. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Provide visible and positive leadership to staff consistent with the commitments of the City’s Leadership Charter, developing and nurturing a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating for staff.
- Provide managerial oversight of staff including recruitment, training, development and performance issues.
- Collaborate with peers across the division to ensure continuity and execution of work plans
- Manage a cross divisional team of technical support staff that includes laboratory technicians, environmental protection officers, and project, environmental and technical specialists.
- Provide input to long-term divisional priorities and strategies.
- Implement strategies and develop prioritized work plans to achieve the divisions goals and objectives.
- Ensure all regulatory reports are completed and submitted in accordance with legislated requirements.
- Provide oversight for the divisions the sewer use bylaw.
- Prepare annual and multi-year work plans that inform the development of forecasted annual and multi-year budgets.
- Develop, recommend and implement standards, methods and procedures seeking optimization and continuous improvement.
- Prepare and present multifaceted technical, administrative, financial, analytical and statistical reports as required.
- Provide coverage for the Division Manager and Operations Manager as necessary.
- Prepare and present reports to senior staff and Council as required.
- Represent Wastewater Services on corporate committees and teams as assigned.
- Participate in public and inter-governmental consultations and working groups.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Extensive experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a post-secondary degree in Environmental Studies, Engineering, Engineering Technologist or related discipline and extensive experience in water or wastewater environments preferably in an operational municipal setting. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience managing staff and leading work teams, preferably in a unionized environment
- Experience with budgeting (operating and capital budgeting), purchasing (RFP’s RFQ’s, tenders, contracts).
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record and access to a vehicle. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects effectively.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, the media and the general public.
- Understanding of current business trends and best practices.
- Understanding of government legislation related to municipal wastewater systems operations and service delivery.
- Knowledge of the municipal Class EA process and master planning.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Excellent customer service skills and public relation skills.
- Knowledge of the requirements and application of a Quality Management System.
- Knowledge of wastewater treatment process management concepts and principles.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation and specifications.
- Ability to oversee the planning, design and supervision of construction and maintenance projects.
- Experience with master planning exercises would be an asset.
- PMP designation would be an asset.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday September 2, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.