The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Manager, Financial Reporting and Accounting within the Finance Department. Reporting to the General Manager of Finance / City Treasurer, the successful candidate will provide leadership and accountability in financial management and ensure internal controls are operating effectively. The position oversees financial reporting, treasury function, general and transactional accounting as well as maintaining the general ledger.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Develop and implement comprehensive accounting and financial reporting practices, policies and processes that include strong internal controls, to ensure financial reporting is in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) standards.
- Ensure a disciplined accounting closing and reporting process for timely and accurate internal and external financial reporting on an established timeframe.
- Ensure accuracy of financial records to be relied upon by staff in the preparation of financial analyses, through reconciliations of recorded balances, activity analyses and established review procedures.
- Ensure proper design, operation and maintenance of the general ledger, including chart of account structure, department assignments, system access, and segregation of duties.
- Oversee the City’s treasury function including banking administration, external financial institutional relationships and internal control payment structures specific to the treasury processes.
- Oversee the City’s investment portfolio and monitor cash flow projections to ensure optimum utilization of cash resources within statutory limitations.
- Be a leader and key staff resource in the strategic direction and implementation of technology projects, providing finance expertise for system assessments, upgrades, security reviews, and system enhancements.
- Oversee and review the preparation of working papers, financial statements, provincial reporting and all required documents for external auditors and act as a liaison throughout the duration of all external corporate financial audits.
- Attend Council meetings and provide support to the City’s committee’s as required.
- Oversee the accounting and financial reporting and legislative filings of certain local boards or wholly owned companies (Guelph Junction Railway, Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc.).
- Write and review reports (Council reports and internal memos) and deliver presentations as required both internally and to council and committees when required.
- Liaise with the City’s Internal Auditor as a key stakeholder and business support to the successful achievement of the Audit Work Plan. Oversee the implementation of internal audit recommendations that fall within the purview of this role.
- Be innovative and recommend changes to departmental and corporate processes that leverage technology, innovation and excellence with the outcome of creating efficiency, creating capacity, reducing burden and delivering budget savings.
- Develop and nurture a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating for staff.
- Provide leadership and guidance to staff, and monitor results of objectives contained in performance development plans.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with other city departments and divisions.
- Actively participate and contribute to the strategic goals and objectives of the Finance Department and the corporation.
- Assist the General Manager with various special projects as required.
- Significant experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through several years of progressively responsible experience, plus the completion of a University Degree in Business, Commerce, Accounting or Finance and a Professional Accounting Designation.
- Demonstrated leadership skills acquired through considerable experience supervising, leading and motivating staff, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proven analytical, organizational, and change management skills.
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate the execution of any external audit and liaise with both internal and external auditors to ensure timely and successful outcomes.
- Experience in designing and implementing effective internal control procedures and monitoring and reporting on their effectiveness.
- Demonstrated experience in writing policies and procedures and executive/board level reports.
- Advanced skills with JD Edwards financial reporting software.
- Experience with ERP system assessments, upgrades and/or conversions would be a definite asset.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Municipal accounting experience would be considered an asset.
$98,786.96 – $123,483.70
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday November 29, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.