The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting to the Supervisor Maintenance, the successful candidate will provide technical expertise with a focus on operational maintenance and continuous improvement. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
Hours of work
Any five (5) consecutive shifts of eight (8) consecutive hours, Monday through Saturday between 6:30 am and 1:30 am. Rotating on-call is a requirement of this position.
- Carry out mechanical maintenance of stationary and other equipment in accordance with maintenance programs and schedules (excludes mobile equipment and vehicles)
- Performs repairs on pumps, valves, electric and pneumatic actuators, motors, gears, hydraulics, mechanical drives, speed reducers and other related equipment.
- Welding and fabricating steel structures, platforms and performing bin repairs etc.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and problem solve equipment failures in a manufacturing environment
- Analyze by troubleshooting all types of mechanical and related equipment, making recommendations on a course of action for the repair or replacement of equipment.
- Carry out routine maintenance of the buildings and utilities.
- Maintain mechanical equipment inspection records and certifies compliance with preventative maintenance program.
- Oversees the work of mechanical sub-contractors retained for equipment maintenance.
- Ensures that all safety and operational procedures are followed during equipment maintenance.
- Assist with technical specifications for new equipment.
- Follow all legislative requirements under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Certificates of Approval and any other governing legislative body.
- Change conveyor belting, perform equipment rebuilds and repairs, motor/drive replacements and trouble shooting.
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives to ensure the facility operates as efficiently as possible.
- Perform other related duties as assigned, including inter-changing job functions.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 3 to 4 years maintenance experience; preferably in a production/manufacturing environment. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid Industrial Maintenance Certificate is required.
- Must possess a valid Class G driver’s licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Able to understand equipment manufacturers’ schematic drawings, interpret design drawings and operating and maintenance manuals. Knowledge and experience of mechanical and electrical systems and equipment.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to resolve maintenance issues in a timely manner.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to work effectively in an empowered team environment.
- Ability to physically perform strenuous and repetitive work in a safe manner including but not limited to climbing, lifting, bending, pushing, pulling and moving heavy items in all types of weather conditions.
- Knowledge of pumps, valves, electric and pneumatic actuators, motors, gears, hydraulics, mechanical drives, speed reducers and other related equipment.
- Prior industrial/mechanical maintenance experience or training.
- Knowledge and experience of building maintenance an asset.
- Must be a reliable self-starter able to work alone and with supervision.
$33.09 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, October 25, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.