The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Licenced Truck & Coach Technician with the Transit Fleet Services Division. Reporting to the Supervisor, Fleet Services, the successful candidate will focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Perform all maintenance and repair of all types of light and heavy Transit vehicles including diagnosis and correction of problems with diesel and/or gasoline engines, automatic transmissions, brakes, steering, and other bus components in accordance with approved policy.
- Perform inspection, maintenance, and repair of all Transit equipment.
- Lubricate, refuel, change oil, service tires and batteries, etc. as required.
- Perform general housekeeping as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Familiarity with electronic diagnosis equipment.
- Experience in diagnosis and repair of Detroit Diesel, Allison Transmissions, and Multiplex systems would be an asset.
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and other programs.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment and have a sincere focus on quality customer service.
- Knowledge of WHMIS and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Ability to perform heavy lifting, various levels of standing, climbing, sitting & crouching as required.
- Must be a reliable self-starter and able to prioritize tasks according to changing demands and work with or without supervision.
- Must be neat in appearance and able to communicate in a cordial manner.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a Grade 12 education and five years’ experience in the maintenance and repair of heavy vehicles. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a valid Truck & Coach Technician Licence (310T).
- Must possess a valid Class CZ licence with a good driving record OR have a valid driver’s licence in good standing and be willing to obtain CZ within a specified time period. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
$34.96 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday September 15, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.