The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The City of Guelph Recreation Division offers a variety of recreation program for people of all ages and abilities in weekly sessions throughout the school year.
Reporting to the Recreation Program Coordinator, successful candidates will teach children aged 5-12 basic skating skills in a fun, recreational and small group environment
Hours of work
Tuesdays and/or Thursdays 4:45pm-7:45pm
Fall Session dates: October 1- December 3
Winter Session dates: January 7- March 24 (no lessons Reading Week or March Break, 2020)
Full availability required for session
Location: West End Community Centre, 21 Imperial Rd South
Mandatory on- ice training: Thursday September 26th, 5:45pm-6:35pm
Location: West End Community Centre- Rink 2
- Create a welcoming environment for all participants
- Teach basic skating skills in a small group setting
- Communicate with other coaches and the on-ice facilitator
- Create an inclusive environment on ice
- Provide a fun, engaging and positive atmosphere for the skaters
- Possess strong skating skills
- Experience working with non skaters, beginner and advanced skaters in a learn to skate environment
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain participant confidentiality
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification (willing to obtain within 4 months)
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check is required at time of offer
- Experience working with individuals with special needs is an asset
- Full availability is required for scheduled program days and times
$14.50 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by Sunday September 8, 2019 by sending their cover letter and resume as one document (pdf or word) by email to RecPrograms@guelph.ca
subject line: Learn to Skate
Interviews to be scheduled the week of September 9th and 16th
For more information about some of the programs we are hiring for, please reference programs listed in preschool, children’s and youth sections in the Guelph Community Guide at guelph.ca/recreation
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.