The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Laboratory Technician with Infrastructure, Development and Enterprise Service Area, Wastewater Services Division. Reporting to the Supervisor of Laboratory and Environmental Protection, the successful candidate will have a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city
- Perform daily chemical and physical analysis of wastewater in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Assist/Support rotationally for sample log in and sub-sampling, including preparing chain of custody for subcontracting Laboratory.
- Maintain accurate records of analytical results and thorough documentation of required laboratory tasks.
- Collaboratively working with Laboratory Coordinator and all department staff.
- Collaboratively working with Treatment Lead, Maintenance Lead, Groups and others.
- Update Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) database including data input, reagent/standard preparation and equipment maintenance.
- Assist/Support Laboratory Coordinator with Laboratory Health and Safety Program.
- Maintain, calibrate and troubleshoot laboratory equipment to quality standards, departmental methods and SOP’s.
- Assist/support QA/QC Coordinator of the quality system thru assigned duties/tasks.
- Comply with the Departmental and Corporation of the City of Guelph policies and procedures.
- Assist/Support Laboratory Coordinator on daily duties and special projects relating to the plant operations as required.
- Assist/Support with validation of methods for accreditation as required.
- Maintain inventory for Laboratory supplies.
- Must demonstrate continued proficiency in performing each analytical method.
- Perform other related duties as required/assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion a 2 year college diploma in Chemistry, Environmental Science program or a related discipline and 6-12 months experience in an environmental/chemical laboratory environment performing laboratory analysis and general maintenance. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Must have in your possession Operator in Training license for Wastewater Treatment at the time of hire or able to attain within 6 months of hire.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a demanding work environment.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and laboratory database management systems such as (Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)).
- Knowledge of ISO/IEC 17025 International Standard for laboratories, Occupational Health and Safety Act and laboratory Health & Safety best practices.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to deal with the internal and external contacts in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Ability to perform physical work (e.g. lifting, bending etc.).
- Ability to work well in a team environment and with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of Ministry of the Environment regulations pertinent to a Wastewater facility would be an asset.
- Knowledgeable or laboratory maintenance and waste management would be an asset.
$28.60-35.09 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday October 27, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.