The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting to the Inclusion Programmer, the successful candidate will supervise on-site facilitation of inclusive and adaptive camps. The Inclusion Team Leader will support camp staff and campers with physical, medical and/or developmental disabilities, focusing on developing a welcoming environment designed to foster friendships and promote social interaction.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Provide on-site supervision and leadership to campers and camp staff.
- Supervise, support and care for campers with disabilities, who need assistance participating in recreation camps.
- Create a positive team environment, supporting all camp staff and provide on-going training where needed.
- Oversee, mentor and take a lead role in creating a welcoming environment for all campers and support workers who attend camp programming.
- Responsible for all aspects of camp programming including planning, preparation, making community contacts and set up/take down.
- Lead activities and fully engage with campers.
- Communicate with the camp team, and campers’ support worker/family as appropriate.
- Complete various administrative duties (ie. Communication reports, incident reports, statistics, monitoring budgets).
- Ensure facilities and equipment are maintained and kept in an acceptable, safe condition.
- Ensure adherence to all City of Guelph program policies and procedures.
- Respect and maintain participant confidentiality.
- Complete and attend all mandatory City of Guelph training and meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is an asset.
- Excellent leadership skills and experience.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Previous experience in program planning, development and implementation.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and in a team environment.
- Adaptable, patient and innovative approach to work.
- Able to work at various locations across the city.
- Valid CRP Level C and Standard First Aid (or willing to obtain upon hiring).
- HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development (or willing to obtain upon hiring).
- A Criminal Reference Check including Vulnerable Sector Check will be required at the time of hiring.
Hours of work
These are seasonal positions, with training hours beginning in June and operating full-time hours starting last week of June and ending the Friday before Labour Day weekend in September. Evening and Weekend training shifts required in June. Full time hours applies to daytime weekly programs (Mon-Fri). Occasional weekend shifts may be required training. 40-42 hours per week.
$17.20 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, March 7, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.