The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting to the Recreation Coordinator – Inclusion, the successful candidate will oversee facilitation of One2One and Inclusion Camp programs, as well as coordinate volunteers for City of Guelph summer camps. The Inclusion and Volunteer Camp Facilitator will support camp staff and campers with physical, medical and/or developmental disabilities, focusing on developing a welcoming environment designed to foster friendships and promote social interaction. The Inclusion and Volunteer Camp Facilitator is also responsible for placing suitable volunteers at camps, taking a lead role in delivering volunteer training and mentoring volunteers throughout the summer.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Responsible for maintaining consistency in the delivery and administration of the Volunteer and Inclusion program for Summer Camp.
- Provide on-site supervision and leadership to campers and camp staff.
- Provide staff training and mid-summer training (ie. Program planning ideas, safety, leadership skills, etc.)
- Schedule weekly One2One matches.
- Support and mentor staff at Youth on the Move Camp.
- Supervise, support and care for campers with disabilities, who need assistance participating in recreation camps.
- Create a positive team environment, supporting all camp staff and provide on-going training where needed.
- Communicate with the camp team, and campers’ support worker/family as appropriate.
- Complete various administrative duties (ie. Communication reports, incident reports, statistics, monitoring program budgets).
- Ensure facilities and equipment are maintained and kept in an acceptable, safe condition.
- Visit each site location regularly and be available to support each site through problem-solving when needed and act as a role model.
- Address customer concerns in a professional and timely manner, ensuring all guidelines, policies and procedures are followed.
- Review and submit time sheets for Inclusion staff.
- Coordinate the recruitment of both general camp volunteers and swim volunteers.
- Schedule volunteers in appropriate positions.
- Implement a training/orientation session for all volunteers before they are placed on site.
- Mentor volunteer placements on an ongoing basis.
- Act as a resource person for the entire camp staff team.
- Conduct performance appraisals of all volunteers.
- Track and report all volunteer hours, per camp and per person.
- Enforce all City of Guelph program policies and procedures.
- Respect and maintain participant confidentiality.
- Complete and attend all mandatory City of Guelph training and meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is an asset.
- Excellent leadership skills and experience.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Previous experience in program planning, development and implementation.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and in a team environment.
- Adaptable, patient and innovative approach to work.
- Able to work at various locations across the city.
- Valid CRP Level C and Standard First Aid (or willing to obtain upon hiring).
- HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development (or willing to obtain upon hiring).
- A Criminal Reference Check including Vulnerable Sector Check will be required at the time of hiring.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
Hours of work
Monday – Friday, shifts ranging from 8:00am-5:00pm (maximum 44 hours/week).
$17.20 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, March 7, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.