The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of HVAC/Gas Fitter Technician within the Facilities Management Department. Reporting to the Supervisor, General Trades and Corporate Building Maintenance the successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining City facilities. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Perform mechanical system inspections, troubleshooting, maintenance and repairs as required to ensure efficient, safe and reliable HVAC, refrigeration, boiler, generator, and plumbing/piping systems.
- Design, layout and install mechanical projects.
- Maintain mechanical equipment inspection records and certify compliance with computerized PM program.
- Liaise with mechanical/electrical contractors.
- Liaise with TSSA as required and obtain a Certificate of Authorization for refrigeration pressure piping.
- Liaise with other City Departments to review existing equipment, new installs and assist set-up, operation of BAS systems.
- Ensure that all safety and operational procedures are followed during work performance.
- Assist Operations staff in isolation and start-up of equipment.
- Assist in accumulating data to support MMS program.
- Ensure completion of work orders, purchase orders and time keeping through MMS program.
- Work with other team members of Corporate Building Maintenance in day to day activities.
- Respond to issues related to building at various Facilities e.g. fire alarm panel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and 5 years industrial/commercial mechanical systems and equipment experience. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must hold a valid Certificate of Qualification as a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic, and a TSSA Certificate of Qualification as a Gas Technician I.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with the ability to deal with internal and external contacts in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Basic computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Must be able to perform physical work (e.g. lifting, walking, climbing, push and pull and working in all types of weather conditions).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings and specifications.
- Experience with MMS computer system (SPL) would be an asset.
- Knowledge with the maintenance and operation of instrumentation, BAS, and DDC computer control systems.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces and high areas.
$34.78 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, September 23, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.