The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Human Resources Advisor within the Human Resources Department. Reporting to the HR Manager, Client Services, the successful candidate will provide consultation services to client departments through working partnerships, on a variety of human resources issues including consultation, advice, guidance and interpretation of human resources policies, procedures, programs and collective agreements, resolving employee and labour relations issues as they arise. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Provides the initial point of contact for HR matters for designated client departments.
- Develops relationships with client departments to provide advice on HR matters and assists in developing supports to their business needs.
- Counsels management and staff on the interpretation and application of various HR policies, collective agreements and employment legislation, ensuring consistency in interpretation, quality and deliverable outcomes.
- Participates in grievances, mediation, arbitrations and collective bargaining, as required.
- Provides advice to management regarding sensitive employee issues such as discipline, harassment and termination.
- Assists managers/supervisors with managing union employee processes such as grievance handling, layoffs, bumping, etc. in accordance with the applicable collective agreement.
- Coordinates and recommends appropriate recruitment strategies for client departments; develops innovative strategies for hard-to-fill positions.
- Reviews job qualifications and works with the Compensation Specialist to ensure the internal and external recruitment advertisements and hiring procedures remain consistent with City policy, collective agreements and employment related legislation.
- Participates in employment interviews (where required), and provides assessments/recommendations to client departments. Selects candidates in conjunction with the hiring manager. Negotiates salary and conditions of employment with successful candidates. Provides feedback to candidates following interview. Ensures reference checks are completed and satisfactory.
- Conducts on-going evaluations and recommends new or revisions to HR policies, procedures and/or programs, as appropriate to establish, maintain and improve HR service delivery to client departments and corporately. Trains and updates client departments on new and revised policies, procedures and programs.
- Provides general information to all levels of staff regarding employee related benefits including WSIB, STD and LTD. Refers employees to specialist for more specific details, as required.
- Responsible for ensuring individual compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, the corporate Occupational Health and Safety Policy and all applicable Health & Safety policies and procedures.
- Works in partnership with the HR Manager, Learning and Development and HR Specialists to develop and deliver effective HR programs in the areas of employee engagement, performance management and workforce planning initiatives.
- Participates on project teams and committees, both in HR and for client initiatives.
- Performs other related tasks, as assigned, that are in accordance with job responsibilities or necessary department and corporate objectives.
- Significant experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through post-secondary education in Human Resources or a related field along with experience in a complex, unionized organization. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation an asset.
- Previous experience supporting Emergency Services (Fire / EMS) an asset.
- Thorough working knowledge of relevant employment legislation including Employment Standards, Human Rights, Pay Equity, and Occupational Health and Safety Act, labour relations, total compensation, employment standards, recruitment and retention standards rewards and recognition programs and current employment principles and practices.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Superior customer service skills including working collaboratively with staff members, agencies, external contacts and the public.
- Proficiency utilizing MS Office software applications including in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Well-developed interpersonal and emotional intelligence skills and abilities that foster trust, cooperation and relationship building.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and solve problems based on consideration of all critical factors, including long and short term impacts.
- High level of communication and negotiation skills and the ability to resolve complex situations and/or conflicts in a constructive and principled manner.
$81,633.25 to $102,041.56
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday May 27, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
Apply for this job
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.