The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 130,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Conduct research and analysis of properties to determine cultural heritage value or interest
- Prepare recommendations for designations of individual properties and cultural heritage landscapes under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.
- Prepare draft reports to City Council recommending designation of cultural heritage resources;
- Assist planning staff in the review of heritage permit applications;
- Undertake work on special projects related to the City’s cultural heritage conservation program;
- Contribute to presentations and reports to the municipal heritage committee with respect to designation of cultural heritage resources under the Ontario Heritage Act.
- Post-secondary education (completed or in process) in planning, architecture or related program. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Strong written, verbal, visual, and interpersonal skills.
- Research and report preparation experience.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, and GIS (ArcMap and ArcGIS Online) applications.
- An ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- General knowledge of Ontario planning and heritage legislation/activity.
- Interest in Ontario history and architecture.
- Valid G or G2 driver’s licence with a good driving record and a minimum of two years driving experience.
Hours of work
35 hours per week Monday to Friday from April to the end of August
$17.22 – $21.96 per hour depending on education level
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, January 31, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.