The City of Guelph is looking to hire eager, motivated, and hard-working individuals who are passionate about our environment and community. These positions aim to drive change through front-line education, public engagement, and promotional campaigns focused on healthy landscapes. If you are passionate about the environment; are an outgoing, friendly and highly organized person; want to develop strong communication skills; enjoy being outdoors; and have fun; then we are looking for you!
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Perform residential outdoor landscape audits as part of the City of Guelph Landscape Visit Program.
- Assist with the planning, coordination and delivery of healthy landscapes and water efficiency program initiatives and events.
- Assist with the design of educational and promotional campaigns and materials.
- Coordinate meetings with community partners and stakeholders.
- Conduct research over the internet and telephone.
- Correspond with industry contacts and customers as needed on behalf of the programs section.
- Provide administrative/clerical support for the programs section.
- Staff community displays and events.
- Travel within Guelph to research, review, or assist with the Water Efficiency Programs and Promotions.
- Identify creative opportunities for communicating water and efficiency program and resources to Guelph residents and businesses.
- Post-secondary education (completed or in process) in horticulture, landscape architecture, environmental science, natural resources, or closely related field. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid G or G2 driver’s license with a good driving record and a minimum of 2 years driving experience.
- Experience in working with horticultural practices as they pertain to water efficient plant selection and home landscaping site design principles strongly desired.
- Must have excellent communication skills (written and verbal) along with strong research and planning skills.
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Must be able to understand and interpret relevant environmental legislation, water conservation industry practices and issues.
- Knowledge of water conservation industry best practices and municipal water and wastewater systems would be an asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Valid CPR and First Aid is required prior to start date.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm they have a valid driver’s license held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
City of Guelph – Water Services Department, 29 Waterworks Place, Guelph.
Hours of work
35 hours per week starting April/May 2022 for approximately 4 months
$16.00 – $18.60 per hour (2021 rates. 2022 rates are under review)
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, January 30, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.