FOOD & BEVERAGE DEPARTMENT FRONT OF HOUSE SHIFT LEADER (Part time)
The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
This position is sometimes referred to as the Front of House Manager and is responsible for supervising, overseeing and coordinating the front of house staff on event days ensuring that our customers receive the best service possible. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Supervise all front of house staff in the restaurant and concourse alcohol concessions
- Oversee the service of alcohol in the restaurant and alcohol concessions ensuring compliance with all AGCO regulations as well as building alcohol policies at all times.
- Work with building security and be the first point of contact when dealing with any alcohol service issues
- Ensure customer satisfaction is achieved through courteous, prompt and efficient service including the resolution of company concerns
- Monitoring cash and inventory procedures for all bar and service staff
- Provide guidance and direction to all front of house staff
- Oversee the wait staff to ensure timely delivery of orders and appropriate portioning of meals
- Be the onsite contact for front of house emergency situations including first-aid and building evacuations
- Work closely with and assist the Kitchen Coordinator in managing the restaurant front of house and concourse alcohol concessions staff including scheduling, training and general supervision as required
- Ensure all front of house areas are stocked to required par levels and cleaned before each event
- Perform inventory opening counts for each bar prior to each event and double check closing counts and make appropriate corrections after each event in order to balance sales variances.
- Provides setup assistance and service support as required for all events.
- Provide support for food and beverage staff as required
- Responsible for ensuring the compliance of departmental policies regarding hygiene, health, safety and sanitation procedures.
- Responsible for adhering to and enforcing rules and regulations including those from the Health & Safety Act to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for all facility patrons.
- Provides the highest level of customer service to both internal/external customers in a professional and hospitable manner.
- Assist Food and Beverage Coordinators in the creation and execution of programs, promotions, or events.
- Secure the restaurant at the end of a shift
- Required to work weekdays, weekends, and evenings as scheduled.
- Other duties as required.
- Completion of Grade 12.
- 2 to 3 year’s experience supervising restaurant staff
- Possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of cash and inventory handling
- Ability to resolve conflicts calmly and professionally at all times
- Organized and capable of multi-tasking with attention to detail
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual efficiently.
- POS system experience
- Ability to work within strict time deadlines within an extremely fast paced environment.
- Moderate lifting is required.
- Food Handlers Certificate or equivalent recommended.
- Smart Serve Certificate
Hours of Work:
The individuals will work evenings, weekends, and holidays (up to 20 hours per week).
$ 21.68 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by Wednesday October 20, 2021 by sending their cover letter and resume as one document (pdf or word) by email at [email protected].
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.