The City of Guelph is looking to hire eager, motivated, and hard-working individuals who are passionate about our environment and community. These positions aim to drive change through front-line education, public engagement, and promotional campaigns focused on making a difference. If you are passionate about the environment; are an outgoing, friendly and highly organized person; want to develop strong communication skills; enjoy being outdoors; have fun attending local festivals and events, then we are looking for you!
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
Environmental Program Assistant (1 position)
This position will be responsible for providing administrative support and assistance to the Environmental Programs team goals and strategies as identified through the Water Efficiency Strategy and other supporting directional plans. This includes but is not limited to:
- Completing customer appointment bookings and inquiries for the City’s Heathy Landscape Visit Program
- Corresponding with City staff, industry contacts, and customers as needed on behalf of the programs’ section
- Travelling within Guelph to research, review, or assist with program business and Water Efficiency programs and promotions.
- Assist with the planning, coordination and delivery of environmental program initiatives and events.
Solid Waste Program Assistant (4 positions)
These positions will be responsible for developing and delivering targeted communication plans to reduce unnecessary waste and where not possible, disposing of items safely, responsibly and economically. This includes but is not limited to:
- Conducting curbside waste audits and site visits with residents to educate and discuss contamination issues, with emphasis on recent bylaw updates related to residential yard waste collection changes.
- Supporting promotional & educational campaigns and materials development (e.g. curbside education, social media and website content), including coordination and delivery of these materials.
- Corresponding with City staff, residents, community partners, business and industry contacts on waste minimization and diversion efforts.
- Conducting waste industry research and surveys over the internet, telephone and in-person.
Water Wagon Program Assistant (1 position)
This position will promote Guelph’s tap water, educate the public about water and wastewater, and will be responsible for coordinating and delivering the Water Wagon program. This includes but is not limited to:
- Liaising with event organizers, external contractors and City of Guelph staff to create and manage the Water Wagon event schedule, coordinate siting and event needs, organize Water Wagon transportation, and verify service requirements and contracts for each event
- Prepare the Water Wagon and supplies for each event and ensure the storage of the Water Wagon and all materials post event, maintaining a stocked, clean and organized storage space.
- Attend events at which the Water Wagon is present to set-up the Water Wagon and outreach booth, oversee Water Wagon operation, ensure its cleanliness and maintenance, monitor usage, and run public outreach and engagement initiatives.
- Contribute to the research and development of promotional materials and programs to support the City’s Water Wagon and Tap Water Promotion programs. This could include, for example, the development of event activities, social media content, communication and project plans, and publications such as brochures, newsletters, or advertisements.
- Post-secondary education (completed or in process) in environmental science, environmental resource studies, environmental engineering, geography, or closely related field. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid G or G2 driver’s license with a good driving record and a minimum of 2 years driving experience.
- Must have excellent communication skills (written and verbal) along with strong research and planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, public engagement and customer services skills.
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must be able to understand and interpret relevant environmental legislation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
$16.00 – $21.96 depending on position and experience (2021 rates. 2022 rates are under review)
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, January 30, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.