The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Under the direction of the Recreation Supervisor, Administration and Customer Experience, the Customer Service Assistant II is responsible for providing front-line customer service to patrons at recreation centres; in person, and on the telephone. Additionally, this position will assist with clerical work, including data entry, filing, etc.
Through efficient processes, initiative, problem solving and timely communication, this position will provide excellent customer service, both internally and externally. Consistent with the team approach, this position will contribute in the delivery of the Department’s programs and services through clerical support, special projects and other general duties as assigned.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
Hours of work
The position is scheduled up to 20 hours per week, including evening, weekend and holiday hours. This position would be required to work at different facilities throughout the City.
- Represent the City of Guelph in a professional manner at all times, while providing excellent customer service to both external and internal customers.
- Maintain positive, open communication with participants, residents, visitors and other staff.
- Promote and educate the public on Recreation programs, services and facilities.
- Assist with solutions to inquiries, concerns and complaints from patrons; keeping supervisor informed of issues that require further attention or escalation.
- Process program registrations, membership/pass sales, and sundry sales.
- Process financial transactions in accordance with cash handling procedures and protocols as they relate to the position.
- Following safe cash handling processes, process financial transactions in a variety of currencies, balance cash floats and receipts and prepare daily reconciliation documentation and secure funds for deposit.
- Perform other administrative tasks including maintaining attendance records, filing, printing and copying as necessary.
- Maintain a reception area that is neat, clean and welcoming.
- Work effectively as part of a team; attend team meetings and training sessions.
- Be responsible to work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and the City of Guelph policies and Corporate values.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 1 – 2 years’ experience in customer service and clerical duties. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints in an effective manner.
- Ability to problem solve while work independently and within a team environment including community groups, agencies and organizations.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Standard First Aid with CPR-C
- Experience using PerfectMind software would be an asset.
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written).
- Knowledge of the City of Guelph Recreation programs, services and facilities.
- Experience working within a Recreation environment would be an asset (i.e. Summer Camps, Aquatics, Recreation programming, etc.)
$16.44 – $17.62 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system. Applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.