The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Construction Surveyor with the Engineering and Transportation Services department. The successful candidate will focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Operate various survey instruments including but not limited to level, transit, total station, data collectors and GPS units.
- Set up and operate survey equipment for pre-construction data collection including establishing bench marks and base lines, running traverse lines, leveling for cross-sections and profile and picking up topographical information.
- Complete field notes and drawings using AutoCAD and Civil 3D and correspond with Design staff.
- Set up and operate survey equipment for the purpose of layout of municipal construction projects including setting lines and grades for sewers, roads, watermains, curb and gutter, culverts and ditches; take cross-sections for calculations of volume of earth excavation or fills, stakes vertical and horizontal curves; and check accuracy of contractor’s work.
- Set up and operate survey equipment on City property including streets, parking lots and right-of-ways for data collection, permanent record and design purposes.
- Collects post construction and as-constructed information and surveys of sewers, roads and other municipal services for permanent records.
- Completes field notes for record of information and performs measurements and calculations in the field to set grades, layout curves and establish alignment controls.
- Provides instruction, leadership and field direction to survey staff (full-time and part-time) and ensure work is carried out efficiently and accurately.
- Reads and interprets construction plans and specifications related to municipal and construction projects.
- Act as liaison with other City Departments when conducting surveys for projects and obtain necessary information for assigned projects including drawings, registered plans, plans of subdivision, field books and specifications. Advise peers and supervisors on survey matters.
- Acts as Party Chief on designated projects.
- Performs all aspects of safety on the job.
- Perform other related duties as assigned including field inspection of sewers and other construction projects and all aspects including completion of Inspectors notes, and contact administration as required.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a 2 year diploma in Civil Engineering technology or closely related field with 2 – 3 years’ experience related to construction surveying. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a valid ‘G” drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Preference will be given to those who are certified as a certified technician/technologist with OACETT or those willing to obtain certification within one year from start date in the position
- Knowledge in municipal surveying, general inspection and/or advanced sewer and watermain construction inspection is required; completion of relevant OGRA/MEA courses is an asset
- Knowledge and experience operating various electronic survey instruments such as total station, data collectors and GPS units
- Proven proficiency in AutoCAD and other relevant civil design software packages such as Civil 3D or LANDesk Development (LDD)
- Previous construction inspection experience would be considered an asset
- Excellent communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and understanding of construction safety as outlined in the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Traffic Control and First Aid
- Must be a self-starter and able to work with limited supervision
- A satisfactory Police Record Check would be required at time of offer
$27.63 – $33.90 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday July 21, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.