The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Compensation and Data Analyst within the Human Resources department. Reporting to the Manager, Total Compensation and HR Systems, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing and administering various corporate salary administration and job evaluation systems ensuring compliance with the Pay Equity Act and Employment Standards Legislation. This position researches, recommends and implements compensation systems and related policies and procedures; provides advice, and consultation to management and employees on matters relating to salary administration, legislative compliance and job or organizational design. This position will oversee and facilitate all job evaluation and pay equity programs and related processes.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Provides recommendations to leadership pertaining to compensation rates of all positions; develops costing scenarios including conducting financial modeling for collective bargaining and other activities that have an impact on base salaries
- Monitors and analyzes the effectiveness of compensation and recognition programs, identifies gaps and solutions and prepares recommendations for continuous improvements
- Prepares complex and specialized documentation, statistics, analysis and information; analyzes and interprets complex financial and statistical data
- Analyzes cost implications of developing new salary ranges and structures; develops complex excel models to conduct analysis incorporating advanced formulas, graphs, and look up tables
- Conducts research and analysis on market compensation trends, legislative requirements and ministry directives related to the municipal sector compensation policies; participates in compensation surveys and/or compilation of market data to assist in external benchmarking
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with external Compensation professionals, particularly with the City’s identified benchmark comparator group for the purposes of discussing matters of mutual interest, strategies pertaining to problems/challenges regarding labour relations/compensation matters and participating in and conducting surveys
- Coordinates and administers the City’s compliance with Pay Equity legislation including analysis of workforce and job classes, proposing groups to be compared, recording and reporting required documentation, forms completion and monitoring salary administration to ensure corporate maintenance of Pay Equity
- Supports the City’s union job evaluation committees including providing expertise and guidance to committee members, ensuring availability of pertinent information for the evaluation of jobs and facilitating all joint job evaluation committee meetings; encourages a collaborative work environment for committee members
- Delivers training programs for union job evaluation committees on their responsibilities, respective evaluation tools and processes; trains employees and management on the job evaluation process
- Schedules meetings, books meeting rooms, arranges committee and management representation and prepares documentation for committee members
- Compiles results from job evaluation meetings and provides formal notification of ratings to leaders and incumbents i.e. grade changes, individual employee salary changes, and/or no change to current level; educates and explains process and results
- Maintains job evaluation tracking spreadsheets to ensure compliance with corporate procedures; maintains and updates forms, questionnaires and process documents related to job evaluation for both union and non-union
- Researches and analyzes duties and responsibilities, requirements and demands of all new positions within the organization, both union and non-union; completes benchmarking evaluations on new positions to determine the appropriate grade level
- Provides guidance and recommendations on the development and updating of job postings; identifies bona fide occupational requirements for new and restructured positions
- Creates and maintains organizational charts; updates intranet content related to job evaluation and organizational charts
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- Considerable experience related to the duties above, normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in Human Resources, Business or a related field and considerable experience in compensation analysis, salary administration, organizational design and using multiple job evaluation plans, preferably in a municipal environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designation or Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation is an asset
- Experience in compensation program design and policy development is an asset
- Knowledge in compensation management including developing and administering competitive salary and wage programs, job evaluation, performance plans and compensation policies and procedures in a multi-union environment; including thorough working knowledge relevant employment legislation and current compensation trends
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive confidential issues
- Excellent organizational and records management skills with a strong focus on detail and accuracy
- Excellent research, reasoning, analytical and problem solving skills; experience in conducting financial modeling as it relates to job evaluation/salary administration
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate complex issues using plain language and communicating with tact and diplomacy while maintaining confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service
- Knowledge of job evaluation methodologies, compensation research techniques and Pay Equity legislation
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio).
- Experience with human resources information systems is an asset
- Self-directed with the ability to work in a team based setting
- Knowledge of relevant workplace and employment legislation such as Employment Standards Act, Pay Equity Act and Human Rights Act
$83,184.28 – $103,980.35
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday, January 11, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.