The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Provide excellent cleaning service including, but not limited to dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, shampooing, washing floors, mirrors and windows, doors, windows, glass, cleaning washrooms, washroom fixtures, counter tops, tables, chairs, work rooms, utility rooms, parking garage, kitchenettes, fridges, stoves, microwaves, etc., and sorting and removal of all garbage.
- Purchase and stock the appropriate approved cleaning products, hygiene products and associated equipment.
- Keep all washrooms, kitchenettes and lunchroom fully stocked with the appropriate products.
- Respond to emergency clean-ups, and spills and plunge washrooms fixtures as required.
- Snow removal, salt walkways, pick garbage, raise and lower flags, and change light bulbs.
- Coordinate shipment and pick-up of material for various departments.
- Assist other team members in day to day activities, furniture moving, set up and tear down for meeting rooms.
- Execute minor work within an office environment i.e. painting, picture hanging.
- Assist other team members with the set-up for special events ( sound system, drayage, podium, risers (etc)
- Work with City MMS system work orders, work requests, purchase orders, time keep etc
- Maintain facility quality and safety by adhering to predetermined building cleaning and operating standards, maintaining all required documentation of day to day work.
- Provide excellent customer service and public relations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and 3-6 months experience in the use of cleaning equipment/cleaning products and performing building maintenance activities using small hand and power tools. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Basic computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Ability to deal with the internal and external contacts in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Must be able to perform physical repetitive work (e.g. lifting, bending, climbing ladders, pushing and pulling with moderate exertion).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must be able to work alone and with supervision.
- Working positively and in co-operation with other team members is an important part of this position.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid First Aid and CPR certificate.
- Up to date WHMIS training.
- Knowledge of green certified cleaning products.
$24.05 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday January 22, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.