The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Building Maintenance Specialist with the Facilities and Energy Management reporting to the Manager, Corporate Building Maintenance. The successful candidate will be responsible for minor construction, maintenance contracts, minor renovations and life cycle replacement projects at City facilities. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Manage various building construction and renovation projects from conception to completion.
- Preparation of tender documents and coordinating with purchasing.
- Liaise with City Departments to establish the program for the project.
- Space planning and preparation of site, office, and building layouts as required in AutoCAD format.
- Coordinate the work of Architects, Consulting teams and Contractors to meet the requirements of the project.
- Liaise with Planning and Building for site plan approval and building permits, Engineering for site services, IT and other Departments with special needs, and with utilities, authorities and regulatory agencies as required.
- Review reports, conceptual designs, drawings and tender documents, and recommend changes.
- Ensure that all safety and operational procedures are followed during work performance.
- Conduct site inspections and oversee/prepare deficiency reports for appropriate action.
- Responsible for payment certificates for the Consultant, the Contractor and other vendors.
- Manage shop drawings, site instructions, change notices, change orders, and record drawings and manuals.
- Oversee commissioning.
- Organize and coordinate all aspects of moves.
- Ensure adherence to Accessibility, Asbestos, Mold, and OH&S Regulations.
- Maintain and manage a work order system (WAM).
- Maintain and update our corporate asset database for facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary education in Architectural, Facility Management or closely related discipline and experience in construction and renovations within the ICI (Industrial, Commercial Institutional) Sector. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in project management (e.g. delivering on time, within budget, meeting a high standard of quality, and with energy savings targets met).
- Experience with contract administration including tender documents
- Must possess a valid ‘G’ driver’s license, have a good driving record and access to a vehicle. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a demanding environment.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Knowledge of the Building Code, Lien Act, OAA Document 6, CCDC 2, Bonding and Insurance, and other related documents is required.
- Knowledge of proper construction procedures would be an asset.
- Ability to read and interpret detailed drawings, specifications, soils reports and topographical surveys.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues and information.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Experience with Microsoft Project or other project management software.
- Intermediate level of ability with AutoCAD for space planning, building permit, and conceptual drawings.
- Experience with financial software such as JD Edwards and Maintenance Management systems such as WAM would be an asset.
- Municipal or public sector experience would be an asset.
$75,634.49 – $94,543.11
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday February 2, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.