The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Located in the heart of downtown Guelph, the River Run Centre is a magnificent performing arts center that opened in October 1997. The Centre houses a 786-seat Main Stage Theatre, the 225-seat Studio Theatre and the large Canada Company Hall, a communal lobby which is also multi-purpose.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Backstage Staff at the River Run Centre within the Culture and Recreation Department. The successful candidate will be involved in a variety of tasks to support the success of an event. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
Hours of Work
12-20 hours per week, Shifts will vary, including some evenings and weekends as required.
- To maintain a warm and welcoming presence at the backstage area
- Monitor the backstage area including dressing rooms, checking for cleanliness
- Setting out hospitality items and replenish as needed
- Assign parking locations to artist/production staff
- Ensure the City of Guelph Health and Safety protocols are being adhered to
- To assist in backstage evacuation procedures as needed
- Completion of a Grade 12 Diploma
- Previous experience as it relates to stage door or reception desk
- The ability to take initiative and problem solve
- Ability to show decorum when dealing with artists/production staff
- Capable of multi-tasking
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Excellent personal presentation
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels
- Able to work under pressure
$16.44 – $17.62 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by November 22, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.