The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting the Supervisor – Aquatics, you will provide assistance with aquatics programs and service delivery for the Programs and Community Development team. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Plan, organize, and ensure the delivery of swim lessons and drop in programs at Lyon Leisure Pool that meet the standards of the Lifesaving Society, the goals of the Recreation Department, and the recreational needs of the community
- Provide on-going support to the entire aquatic team, act as a resource person and leader
- Ensure effective delivery, planning, supervision and evaluation of programs and services
- Assist with coaching and the evaluation of staff, provide coaching for improved performance
- Assist with swim instruction, lifeguarding and monitoring of all aquatic programs and activities
- Assist in the planning, organization, and delivery of aquatic staff training
- Assist with the day to day operation of the Wading Pools in the absence of the Wading Pool Programmer
- Respond to customer inquiries in a timely manner
- Intermediate computer skills including Microsoft Office and Perfect Mind
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and public relation skills
- Excellent knowledge of relevant aquatic legalisation
- Other duties as assigned
- One year Aquatic Deck Supervisor experience
- Pursing a degree/diploma in Social Services, Recreation and Leisure Studies, or related field considered an asset
- Current National Lifeguard (NL) certification
- Current Lifesaving Society Swim Instructors certification
- Current Lifesaving Society Instructors and Coaching Level 1 certifications would be an asset
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification
- Current Aquatic Supervisor Training, NL Instructor, SFA Instructor or LSS Instructor Trainer certifications considered an asset
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- A current Police Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check is required immediately after an offer has been made and must be dated no earlier than the offer date.
Hours of work
- Sunday to Saturday, any five (5) days
- Up to 40 hours a week
- You will be scheduled for most weekends of the summer
$17.20 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, March 7, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.