The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the casual part-time position of Aquatic Instructor Guard to support the Recreation Department. The successful candidate will instruct assigned classes in accordance to the governing body (Lifesaving Society) standards and the City of Guelph expectations. Maintain and enforce high safety standards at all times. Lifeguard as requested and assume all responsibilities of a guard. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
Hours of work and work location
Up to 20 hours per week with daytime, evening and weekend shifts required.
- Maintain a high level of safety supervision at all times.
- Complete all necessary administration documentation thoroughly.
- Attend all mandatory staff trainings.
- Class management and safety supervision during Instructional Learn to swim Programs
- Respond as required to any aquatic emergency situations.
- Assist in implementation of City wide events, such as swim meets, theme days, rentals, etc. as required.
- Ensure that all aquatic qualifications remain current and on file.
- General maintenance of pool deck and facilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current National Lifeguard (NL) certification
- Current Lifesaving Society Swim Instructors certification
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification considered an asset
$16.91 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday April 1, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.