The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the casual part-time position of Aquafit Instructor to support the Recreation Department. The successful candidate will plan, organize and conduct aqua fitness classes following guidelines outlined by the Aquatic Department. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
Hours of work and work location
- Up to 20 hours per week with daytime, evening and weekend shifts required.
- To be a role model and a positive motivating instructor to participants.
- Ongoing assessment and monitoring of participants for the appropriateness of the program content and level. Provide options to the patrons to meet their needs.
- Participate in regular professional development opportunities both internally and externally in the following areas: choreography, exercise technique, exercise safety, specialty areas, music selection, etc.
- Assist in maintaining high safety supervision at all times.
- Take appropriate action to deal with incidents, problems and emergencies as outlined in the department policies and procedures.
- Be a supportive team member by covering classes in case of an absence.
- Knowledge of water fitness teaching strategies and the incorporation of music, temp, cueing technique and rhythm.
- Contribute to a positive, motivated, energetic and enthusiastic work environment.
- Ensure music and equipment provided at facilities (Head set, aqua fit mat) are prepared before class and used.
- Represent the City of Guelph in a professional manner at all times both internally and externally.
- Organize equipment and materials before and after each class.
- Keep current with industry trends and new class formats.
- Be familiar with the facility’s emergency procedures and be confident of your own role in an emergency situation; be prepared to assist in an emergency if one occurs.
- Understand and follow all applicable facility, aquatic, municipal policy and procedures, including Health and Safety, to ensure the aquatic facility remains safe, clean and healthy.
- Be self-motivated and a dependable team player.
- Other duties as assigned
- Recognized Aquafit certification through SPEEDO, CALA, WaterArt, YM/YWCA or other training/certifications
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate that is recognized by WSIB
- Strong interpersonal skills, good planning, instruction and communication skills, training and experience in specialized fitness.
$30.54 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.