The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Alarm Room Technician with the Guelph Fire Department. The successful candidate will receive emergency calls and dispatch fire department units with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the strategic plan and utilizing the corporate core values, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference and making Guelph a healthy and safe community where life can be lived to the fullest.
- Responsible for receiving emergency calls and dispatching City and other contracted fire department and resources as required.
- Inputting and recording of all pertinent data in the dispatch log relating to emergency calls while multi-tasking, and prioritizing calls in a fast-paced environment.
- Keeping detailed and accurate data of all requests and status of resources.
- Fielding non-emergency related phone calls and dealing with customer inquiries in a professional and courteous manner.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a grade 12 diploma and previous experience and/or education in the dispatching field with a first responder agency focus (example: APCO Telecommunicator, APCO Fire Communicator, APCO Paramedic Communicator, APCO Police Communicator or equivalent). Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must demonstrate proven interpersonal skills that are consistent with the department’s core values along with strong communication skills
- Must possess excellent keyboard and data entry skills and the ability to demonstrate.
- Knowledge of the City of Guelph, County of Wellington and surrounding areas would be an asset.
- Candidates should have excellent navigational skills with the ability to read and interpret maps in both paper and electronic formats.
- Must be able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks in a demanding environment.
- Shift work is a requirement.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
$58,374 per year
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday November 16, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
Apply for this job
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.