The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for a temporary position of Administrative Assistant within the Environmental Services Department. Reporting to the General Manager of Environmental Services, the successful candidate will provide administrative support to the General Manager and when necessary Environmental Services Division Managers. This position will have a strong focus on business, financial and administrative support. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Provide administrative assistance and advice to the General Manager of Environmental Services and Division Managers of the Department
- Coordinating travel arrangements
- Administer payroll, and oversee electronic and hard copy records
- Provide administrative support coverage for IDE City Hall group of assistants
- Deliver professional assistance to staff as well as external contacts – acting as the first point of contact in order to direct requests appropriately
- Prepare agendas/minutes for meetings of the Environmental Services Direct Reports as well all related working/operating committees; attend meetings and coordinate follow up actions with staff of the department
- Undertake other additional tasks and responsibilities to support the Environmental Services management team such as:
- departmental meeting management
- preparation of the departmental budget
- preparation of reports, document editing and spread-sheets
- status report tracking, expenditure tracking and records management
- calendar organization for General Manager
- preparation of purchasing invoices as directed
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a certificate / diploma in Business Administration or closely related discipline and experience providing administrative support to a senior manager. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Excellent organizational and office administration skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy environment to meet stringent deadlines
- A self-starter with good problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative and customer service skills and ability to respect & maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to prepare reports and presentations on behalf of the department
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Event planning experience would be an asset
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Experience and/or knowledge of financial/work management software and databases such as JDEdwards, Kronos, WAM would be an asset
$30.52-$38.16 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday February 17, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.