The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for a position of Administrative Assistant within the Transit Service Department. Reporting to the General Manager of Transit Services, the successful candidate will provide administrative support to the department and team. This position will have a strong focus on daily business, financial and administrative support. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Provide routine administrative support to the General Manager of Transit Services including the handling of sensitive and confidential matters
- Provide administrative support to Transit senior management through functions such as the coordination of meetings, coordinating travel arrangements, co-ordination of department activities and performing other related administrative functions.
- Deliver professional assistance to staff as well as external contacts – acting as the first point of contact in order to direct requests appropriately.
- Assist in tracking time off requests, vacation schedules and timecards for all management employees including exception reporting into Kronos
- Effectively manage the General Manger’s schedule and activities
- Receive and organize communications to the General Manager including telephone calls, mail and email messages and provide assistance using independent judgement and/or consult to determine those requiring priority attention
- Coordinate meetings with other departments and or community stakeholder groups, and occasionally engage in preliminary discussions with stakeholders to clarify issues to determine priority and required level of General Manager involvement
- Provide support for the corporate related departmental activities such as annual reports, budget process and reporting activities, health and safety related work and other reports
- Provide clerical support (e.g. word processing, excel, power point, data entry, distribution of information & record keeping)
- Prepare agendas/minutes for meetings of the Transit Services Management team as well all related working/operating committees; attend meetings and coordinate follow up actions with staff of the department.
- Coordinate Guelph Transit staff events (i.e. driver appreciation barbeque and retirement parties)
- Responsible for the Guelph Transit telephone system
- Manage other additional tasks and responsibilities to support the Transit Services management team as required.
- Assist Leadership Team and Executive Team members as the transit representative on departmental assignments and projects.
- Responsible for managing the Transit Advisory Committee (TAC)
- Assist with the preparation of the departmental budget, status report tracking, expenditure tracking and records management
- Prepare purchasing invoices and monthly VISAs as directed
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a certificate / diploma in Business Administration or closely related discipline and experience providing administrative support to a senior manager. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times related to the corporate responsibilities.
- Excellent organizational and office administration skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy environment to meet stringent deadlines.
- A self-starter with good problem solving skills.
- Highly professional, adaptable and anticipatory with excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative and customer service skills and ability to respect & maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Experience and/or knowledge of financial/work management software and databases such as JDEdwards, Kronos, WAM would be an asset.
$55,560.24 – $69,450.30
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Thursday, January 21, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.