Reporting to the Recreation Coordinator – Programs and the Summer Camp Program Facilitator, successful candidates will coordinate a staff team, program plans and implement programmed activities at a City of Guelph camp location/site.
The Recreation Division is seeking Summer Camp Team Leaders who have direct experience working with children in a camp program setting.
- Develop a well unified team concept with all members of the team
- Assist in the coordination and delivery of the training/orientation sessions for all summer camp staff
- Take appropriate precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of all children
- Provide understanding, encouragement and a positive experience for each child
- Ensure all staff are actively involved in all aspects of programming – planning, set-up, running activities, actively participating, clean-up and evaluation
- Establish and enforce rules, report any accidents to Supervisors and complete all necessary forms
- Supervise, support and evaluate staff in all areas through continuous feedback
- As a leader, communicate effectively, maintain open lines of communication and help develop skills in others
- Work cooperatively to modify and adjust programming activities for inclusive participation of all
- Currently completing high school or attending post-secondary education, with an interest in pursuing further education in the field of Recreation & Leisure Studies, Child Development, Education or related field.
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification (willing to obtain prior to commencement of summer camp programs)
- A valid Standard First Aid & CPR C certification (willing to obtain prior to commencement of summer camp programs)
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check is required at time of offer
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain participant confidentiality
- Full availability is required for training in June and the full summer (June – September)
- Experience with STEM Programming an asset
- Minimum 1 year experience working with children in a recreational/camp setting. Preference will be given to those with City of Guelph camp experience
These are seasonal positions, with training hours beginning in May and operating full-time hours starting first week of July and ending the week before Labour Day weekend in September. Full time hours, 40-42 hours per week applies to daytime weekly programs (Mon-Fri). Occasional shifts required on a Saturday for training. Mandatory training dates are listed below.
- June 3,4, 4:30pm- 9:00pm
- June 6, 9:00am-4:00pm
- June 10,11, 4:30pm-9:00pm
- June 20, 9:00am-12:00pm
- June 25, 9:00am-4:00pm
- June 26, 9:00am-12:00pm
- 4 hours online training
- 3 hours paid planning time in June
Rate of Pay
$16.00 (2019 Rates)
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday January 13, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.