Reporting to the Recreation Coordinator – Programs, the successful candidate will facilitate the summer camp program. The Recreation Division is seeking a Summer Camp Program Facilitator who has direct experience working with children, youth and staff in a camp program setting.
- Maintain consistency in the delivery and administration of the summer camp program
- Take a lead role in the coordination of placements, supervision and evaluation of summer camp team leaders and counsellors
- In cooperation with the Recreation Coordinators and the Camp Volunteer& Inclusion Facilitator, assist with staff recruitment, training, team publications and events
- Take a lead role in coordinating all camp specific training and orientation sessions and support other city mandated trainings for summer camp staff. Provide staff mid-summer training and additional training when identified issues occur (i.e. program planning, safety, skills-training)
- Provide ongoing support to the entire camp team, act as a resource person and leader
- Visit each site regularly and be available to support each site through problem-solving when needed and acts as a role model by leading activities and games weekly
- Provide evaluation and support for the camp team through mid and end of summer written and verbal evaluations
- Act as a resource for program planning, execution and evaluation of summer camp programming
- Maintain open lines of communication with parents, colleagues and participants.
- Pursuing a degree/diploma in Recreation & Leisure Studies, Child Development, Education or related field.
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification (willing to obtain prior to commencement of summer camp programs)
- A valid Standard First Aid & CPR C certification (willing to obtain prior to commencement of summer camp programs)
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check is required at time of offer
- A valid driver’s license with access to a reliable vehicle is required during camp.
- Ability to provide a clear driver’s abstract
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain participant confidentiality
- Full availability is required for the full summer (May-September)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a camp environment with supervisory experience. Preference will be given to those with current City of Guelph camp experience
These are seasonal positions, starting Monday May 4, 2020 to Friday September 4th, 2020. Full time hours (40-42 hours) applies to daytime weekly programs (Mon-Fri). Occasional shifts required on a weeknight or Saturday for training or program needs. Mandatory training dates are listed below.
- June 3,4, 4:30- 9:00pm
- June 6, 9:00am-4:00pm
- June 10,11, 4:30pm-9:00pm
- June 20, 9:00am-12:00pm
- June 25, 9:00am-4:00pm
- June 26, 9:00am-12:00pm
Rate of pay
$16.90 per hour (2019 rates)
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday January 6, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.