The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the part time Market Clerk position within the Economic Development and Tourism department. Reporting to the Manager of Tourism and Destination Development, the successful candidate will focus on delivering quality customer service for the market vendors and public at the Guelph Farmers’ Market. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision for an inclusive, connected, prosperous city.
- Oversee the weekly operation of the Saturday Farmers’ Market including vendor administration, enforcement of market regulations, directing volunteers, monitoring general building maintenance and delivering customer service.
- Perform financial and accounting tasks related to invoicing, fee collection, weekly bank deposits and vendor account reconciliation.
- Maintain and administer accurate vendor records using Manage My Market software, including bookings, product lists, insurance tracking and regulation compliance.
- Responsible for administration of all vendor license agreements, including confirming electrical equipment is ESA/CLA compliant.
- Respond to all market related inquiries, guided by the Corporate Service Standards.
- On-site communication with vendors, customers, volunteers and market stakeholders.
- Prepare work orders for facility maintenance and repairs.
- Prepare and distribute weekly memos, notices and other documents.
- Act as a liaison between the market vendors and regulatory staff (Public Health, OMAFRA, and Health & Safety inspector)
- Coordinate Vendor Executive meetings and record and distribute meeting minutes.
- Assist with market promotional activities and event planning.
- Other related duties as assigned that support market operations.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a grade 12 diploma and 1 – 2 years relevant experience in clerical support and customer service, preferably in the food industry. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Experience with Point of Sale or Manage My Market would be an asset.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be a reliable self-starter and able to make decisions and function with minimal supervision.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple/changing demands and priorities and be capable of performing a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Experience and training in Safe Food Handling would be an asset.
- Must be able to perform some physical labour such as lifting and sweeping
$19.78 – $21.19 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday July 28, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.