The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
This temporary position is responsible for project management and business analysis in Building Services. This position will report to the Chief Building Official and provide support to the implementation of departmental continuous improvement and corporate initiatives, as determined by the Planning and Building Services management team. This position is required to coordinate and lead projects and to drive continuous business improvements in Building Services and the City of Guelph to ensure we are leaders in the delivery of core services. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Provides overall project management for a wide variety of short, medium and long-term projects such as; software upgrades, process re-engineering, folder reviews, operational reviews, employee engagement action and implementation plans, departmental continuous improvement projects, development of bylaws and implementation of corporate initiatives.
- Develops formal project documents including project charters and work plans.
- Conducts research, prepares background reports, develops recommendations and prepares project reports and presentations.
- Coordinates and directs internal staff teams and consults with managers and stakeholders and effectively manages project deliverables.
- Co-ordinates and facilitates public consultation, stakeholder engagement and liaison in a positive and inclusive manner including education, information and consultation.
- Fosters effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders including building, design and development communities.
- Prepares and oversees consultant contracts including managing the procurement process, where required.
- Manages and monitors the project budget, where required.
- Ensures all requirements of applicable legislation are met.
- Supports Planning and Building Services departmental implementation of corporate initiatives such as Setting the Course, and Building Partnerships.
- Supports departmental continuous improvement initiatives.
- Monitors all internal and external client activities, recommend improvements and supports the positive implementation of changes.
- Researches current and changing trends related to core services including permit and inspection activities, new functionality and best practices to ensure maximum utilization of the AMANDA software, on-line services, mobile computing solutions and technologies.
- Supports departmental continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ensures regular Customer Service survey tools are used, results are analyzed and recommendations for improvement are made to the management team
- Develops regular statistical and performance reports and provides analysis and recommendations to the management team
- Leads the divisional policies and procedures program, and organizes regular review of these to ensure operations run smoothly and to reduce the risk of liability exposure for the City of Guelph.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through post-secondary education in business administration, project management, architectural or construction technology or related discipline, and experience in a municipal building services environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in project management and business analysis and a track record of delivering projects in an organized and timely manner. Preference will be given to candidates who have or are working towards their Project Management Professional designation (PMP).
- A valid Class G driver’s licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirement.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Ability to lead teams and influence, negotiate and mediate conflict and resolve issues.
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of multi-disciplinary project teams and consultants.
- Proficiency in facilitating effective community/stakeholder engagement.
- Ability to work effectively in both team situations and with minimal supervision.
- Skilled in providing a solution-oriented, customer service approach using good judgement, creativity and strategic thinking.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, internal and external stakeholders and the general public.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Intermediate skills in Eclipse or other project management software.
- Experience in the development and delivery of training programs and materials to meet users’ needs would be an asset.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage a variety of projects.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge and skills in the application and interpretation of the Building Code Act, Building Code, Zoning Bylaw and other relevant legislation, policies, guidelines and planning procedures.
- Must have knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check would be required at the time of offer.
$41.55-$51.94 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, October 25, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.