The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Plans Examiner I with the Building Services Division. The successful candidate will focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement. Reporting to the Program Manager, Permits, this position will be guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness. The successful candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Accept permit applications and process building permits.
- Assist customers at the Building Services front counter.
- Review building plans and associated documentation for low-rise residential housing projects, and associated ancillary buildings for compliance with the Ontario Building Code and all other applicable laws.
- Establish and maintain good relations with the public, professionals and City personnel.
- Provide support for Inspection Services by performing occasional on-site inspections.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above normally acquired through a 3-year diploma in Architectural or Construction Engineering Technology or closely related field.
- Two to three years of experience in building construction or working within a related municipal building services role.
- Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Qualified with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing in General Legal and House.
- Qualifications with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing in Small Buildings, Plumbing House and HVAC House would also be required. Candidates who do not currently possess these two qualifications would be required to obtain within a specified timeframe.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirement.
- Ability to interpret Codes, By-laws and working (construction) drawings, with a strong understanding of the Building Code Act, Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code and Municipal By-laws.
- Accredited (or in the process) with the Ontario Building Officials Association as a Certified Building Code Official.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Intermediate computer skills with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Excellent customer service skills and have a sincere focus on quality customer service.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience with AMANDA software would be an asset.
- Understanding of a municipal environment would be an asset.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check would be required at time of offer.
$33.18-$40.76 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday September 8, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.