The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Maintenance Mechanic in the Wastewater Services Division. Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the successful candidate will assist in performing repairs and maintenance at the Wastewater Treatment Plant and Sewage Pumping Stations. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Perform preventive maintenance on Wastewater Services equipment including but not limited to: Pumps, Motors, Dewatering Equipment, Piping, Tanks, Buildings, and other related equipment.
- Assists Licensed Maintenance Mechanics in the repair of pumps, valves, electric and pneumatic actuators, motors, mechanical drives, speed reducers and other related equipment.
- Assists Licensed Maintenance Mechanics in the installation, refurbishment and rebuilding of Wastewater Services equipment.
- Assist in the diagnosis and troubleshooting of equipment
- Completes and maintains all daily legislative and non-legislative records including the update of Computerized Maintenance Management System including the processing of work requests, work orders, and data entry of the same.
- Perform maintenance on Wastewater Services buildings and grounds.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 1 to 2 years maintenance experience; preferably in a production/manufacturing environment. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a valid Class G driver’s licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to resolve maintenance issues in a timely manner.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to work effectively in an empowered team environment.
- Must be a reliable self-starter able to work alone and with supervision.
- Ability to physically perform strenuous and repetitive work in a safe manner including but not limited to climbing, lifting, bending, pushing, pulling and moving heavy items in all types of weather conditions.
- Knowledge and experience of building maintenance an asset.
- Knowledge of pumps, valves, electric and pneumatic actuators, motors, mechanical drives, speed reducers and other related equipment would be an asset.
$28.31 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday December 23, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.