The Fountain Street parking lot was the site of a coal gasification plant from 1871-1957.
The City is taking a proactive approach to investigating impacts of the former coal gasification plant both on-site and in the surrounding area. Once investigation work is complete the City will determine what steps may be required for the site and surrounding area.
Off-site investigation work includes testing on streets and properties that surround the parking lot including Fountain Street, Wyndham Street and Surrey Street.
Ongoing monitoring of the Speed River, storm sewer outfalls and groundwater are also being done in connection with the investigation.
The City expects to complete its environmental investigation by 2019. Reports will be made available as they are completed.
- 1988: Guelph Gas Works study
- 1990: Initial environmental assessment
- 1990: Bedrock groundwater monitoring installations
- 1996: Remediation work plan
- 1998: Site file review (of previous reports)
- 2004: Physical surveys of households and businesses south of the site
- 2014: On-site investigation (Phase one and phase two environmental site assessments)
- 2015: Surrey Street geotechnical investigation
- 2015: Surrey Street environmental investigation
- 2016: Fountain Street and Wyndham Street environmental investigation
- 2016: Soil vapour testing along Surrey Street
- 2016: Environmental inspection, monitoring and sampling of the Speed River and storm sewer outfalls
- Learn more about City-owned contaminated sites
- Map of City-owned contaminated properties (print quality)
- Learn more about brownfields at guelph.ca/brownfields
For more information
Prasoon Adhikari, M.Sc., P.Eng., PMP, Environmental Engineer
Engineering and Transportation Services
519-822-1260 extension 2946