Cancellation, reduction or refund

You can apply for property tax cancellation, reduction or refund under certain conditions including:

  • property could not be used for its normal use due to repairs or renovations for a period of at least three months during the year
  • use of a non-residential property has changed since the return of the last assessment roll
  • property has been granted exempt status after the return of the assessment roll
  • there has been a fire or demolition of a building or a “gross and manifest error” in the assessment

Applications for a cancellation, reduction or refund of your taxes based on any of the conditions above must be filed on or before February 28 of the next tax year.

How to apply

Your written letter of appeal should include your name, telephone number, municipal address and roll number of the property. Provide the details of your appeal along with copies of any pertinent documentation that substantiates your appeal. You may also print an Application for Cancellation, Reduction or Refund of Taxes and send the completed form to:

City of Guelph, Tax Office
1 Carden St Guelph, ON N1H 3A1
[email protected]

City Council accepts tax adjustment applications in accordance with Section 357 of the Municipal Act S.O. 2001 Chapter C.25