Capital projects are based on the recommended life cycle rehabilitation work as reported in the structure inspection reports. These projects are then aligned with the reconstruction of streets, underground infrastructure improvements, and active transportation planning to prioritize work and optimize planning. The need for road widening, turning lanes or bike facilities is determined by the City’s master plans as well as overall growth plans.
2021 to 2030 project highlights
- Update the Downtown Parking Master Plan in 2022 (PG0092).
Road and Right of Way
- Improve, replace and reconstruct roads as part of water and wastewater infrastructure replacement projects:
- PN0271 York Road—Stevenson to Victoria.
- PN0268 Paisley Road Feedermain Phase 3—Ryde Road to just before Fischer Drive.
- PN0847 Manitoba Street—Ontario to Huron Street.
- PN0043 Metcalfe—Eramosa to Terry.
- PN0236 Speedvale—Elmira to Imperial.
- Continue with Phase 1 of Speedvale Road Reconstruction (PN0097)—Woolwich to Metcalfe including bridge replacement.
- Plan and renew bridges and culverts.
- Construct cycling and sidewalk facilities over 10 years to improve connectivity and implement existing master plans (Active Transportation Network, Cycling Master Plan, and Sidewalk Needs Assessment).
Traffic Control and Planning
- Rebuild and replace equipment for pedestrian crossings, traffic management initiatives, intersection signals.
- Plan for a new, expanded transit operations facility that will be the first phase of the Dunlop site campus project. This will realize the benefit from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Transit grant program (ICIP Transit) co-sponsored by the provincial and federal governments (TC0059).
- Expand routes and improved modal split ratio over 10 years—partially funded by the ICIP Transit grant program (TC0064).
- Replace and electrify transit buses over 10 years—partially funded by the Dedicated Gas Tax program and ICIP Transit grant (TC0070).
- Cycling Network (RD0357, RD0385, RD0387): $436,800.
- $406,200 for staffing (contract position and equipment operator—1 FTE).
- $30,600 for operating and maintenance of snow/street sweeping equipment.
- RD0283 New Sidewalk Construction: $6,000 for maintenance and snow clearing.
- TF0026 Road Safety Initiatives: $207,000 for contractor repairs and maintenance (annual capital approval with impact of $23,000 per year).
- TF0028 Signals/Intersection Improvements: $120,000 for contractor repairs and maintenance (annual capital approval with impact of $15,000 per year).
- Transit related spending: $328,185.
- TC0043 Bus Shelter: $124,850 for maintenance and repairs of new bus shelters.
- TC0074 ITS Cloud Migration: $178,335 for software maintenance.
- TC0076 Farebox Upgrade Phase 2: $25,000 for rental and maintenance charges for cellular units.